Update An Xperia Z1 Compact D5503
Sony has begun releasing an update to Android 4.4.4 KitKat for many of their mainstream devices. Currently, the update has been confirmed for the Xperia Z1, Z Ultra and the Z1 Compact.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how to update a Xperia Z1 compact manually. The official update is reaching different regions at different time and if it’s not in your region yet, this is a way you can get it without waiting.
Follow along and update your Sony Xperia Z1 Compact D5503 to latest and greatest version of Android, Android 4.4.4 KitKat based on the build number 14.4.A.0.108 using Sony Flashtool.
Prepare your phone:
- Make sure that your phone is a Xperia Z1 Compact D5503. Using this firmware on another device could brick it. Check your phones model number by going to Setting>About device.
- Make sure that your phone runs on either Android 4.4.2 or 4.3 Jelly Bean.
- Have Sony Flashtool installed.
- When you have installed Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder and go to Drivers>Flashool-drivers.exe. You are going to see a list of drivers, intall Flashtool, Fastboot and Xperia Z1 Compact drivers.
- Make sure that your phone is charged so it has at least over 60 percent of its battery life.
- Enable USB debugging. Do so by either going to settings>developer options>USB debugging or going to settings>about device and tapping Build Number seven times.
- Backup all your important messages, contacts and call logs.
- Have a OEM data cable that can connect your phone to a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Update a Xperia Z1 Compact D5503 to official 14.4.A.0.108 Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware:
- Download latest firmwareAndroid 4.4.4 KitKat 14.4.A.0.108 FTF.
- Copy the file you downloaded and paste it to Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe .
- On the top left corner, you will as a small lightening button. Hit the lightening button and then select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file that you downloaded and placed in the Firmware folder.
- On the right side, select what want to wipe. It’s recommended that you select and wipe: Data, cache and apps log.
- Click OK, and the firmware will start to prepare for flashing.
- When the firmware is loaded, you will be prompted to attach the phone to your PC. Do so by turning the phone off and keeping the volume down key pressed and plugging in the data cable.
- When the phone is detected in Flashmode, firmware should start flashing, Keep the volume down key pressed until the process is done.
- When you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” let go of the volume down key, plug the cable out and then reboot the phone.
Have you installed latest Android 4.4.4 kitkat on your Xperia Z1 Compact D5503.
Share your experience in the comments box below.