The Sony Xperia SP C5303/C5302
Sony Xperia SP was released nearly a year ago in May 2013, and the devices of Sony recently received an update to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. The specifications of the Sony Xperia SP are as follows:
- A 4.6 inch display
- Screen resolution of 319 ppi
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 1.7GHz Dual Core CPU
- Adreno 320 GPU
- Processor of Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
- 1gb RAM
- 8 mp rear camera and a VGA front camera
The device recently received news that it can be upgraded to the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean as well as the Android 4.4 KitKat. In February, Sony Xperia SP began the roll out for Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, with the build number 12.1.A.0.266. This recent update contains improvements in its performance, bug fixes, more camera features, and a longer battery life. However, this update is not immediately available for everyone as only some regions are able to get this content now, and the public can get it through the Sony PC companion or through OTA. For those who are unfortunately not included in the regions that can get the update quickly, you may do so through this manual method that we will be sharing with you.
Before proceeding with the installation, here are some important reminders for you:
- This step-by-step instructions on the installation of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.0.266 can only be used for Sony Xperia SP C5305 and C5302. If you’re not sure of your device model, you may verify it by going to the Settings menu, click About Device, and choose ‘Model’
- Flashing the firmware for Android 4.3 does not need a rooted device or an unlocked bootloader. The only requirement is that your device should currently be running on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean or Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
- Make sure that the remaining battery percentage of your device upon beginning the installation is more than 60 percent. This will prevent you from having power issues while you are installing the firmware.
- Back up all important contacts, text messages, media content, and call logs. This is a necessary precaution in case some problems arise that would cause the deletion of data.
- Check if you have an installed Sony Flashtool.
- Also check that you have installed drivers by: Flashtool >> Drivers >> Flashtool drivers >> select Flashmode, Xperia SP, and Fastboot >> Install
- Allow USB debugging mode on your Sony Xperia SP. This can be done by clicking on the Settings menu, choosing Developer Options, and clicking USB debugging. If “Developer Options” does not appear on your Settings menu, click About Device and tap on “Build Number” seven times.
- It is highly recommended that you use only the OEM data cable when you connect your phone to your computer. Using other data cables might lead to connection problems.
- The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, ROMs and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Flashing the firmware will delete all of your apps, apps data, system data, messages, contacts, and call logs. It will, however, retain data in your internal storage (media). So back up everything first.
- Be certain that you are 100 percent sure that you wish to proceed before you begin the installation process.
- Carefully read the given instructions and follow it properly.
The process of installing Android 4.3 12.1.A.0.266 on your Sony Xperia SP:
- Download the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.0.266 for your Sony Xperia SP C5303 here or C5302 here
- Click on Flashtool then copy and paste the firmware in the Firmwares folder
- Open Flashtool.exe
- Click the lightning button found at the top left area of the screen and choose Flashmode
- Click the FTF firmware file located in the Firmwares folder
- Choose the data and other things that you want to wipe. It is recommended to select apps, cahce, data, and log. Click the OK button and wait for it to finish preparing the firmware.
- The firmware will load and ask you to connect your phone. To do so, shut down your Sony Xperia SP and keep the volume down pressed as you plug in the data cable to your phone.
- The Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware will begin flashing as soon as the device has been detected in Flashmode. Keep the volume down key pressed as long as the process has not yet been finished
- A message saying “Flashing ended or Finished flashing” shall appear on the screen. Once you see it, stop pressing the volume down key, remove the plug of the data cable, and restart your device
At this point, provided that you have correctly followed all of the instructions, you have now installed Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 12.1.A.0.266 on your Sony Xperia SP. If you have any queries regarding the process, just ask away through the comments section below.