Upgrade Your Sony Xperia S LT26i to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop nAOSP ROM
HTC One M7 and M8 are both upgraded to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop already, and other recently released devices are expected to follow soon. For the older devices, however, the update does not come automatically, and instead will need to be gained through other means such as the nAOSP ROM based on the latest OS.
Sony Xperia S LT26i is known as one of the original devices to get a 12 mp rear camera. The device comes with a 4.5” display and a 1.5GHz dual core processor. This article will provide a step by step guide to upgrade your Sony Xperia S to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop nAOSP ROM. The good thing with this ROM is that it has already been updated so that the performance is smooth and there are not too many issues present.
Before beginning the installation process, here are some notes that you have to consider:
- This step by step guide will only work for Sony Xperia S LT26i. If you are not sure about your device model, you may check it by going to your Settings menu and clicking ‘About Device’. Using this guide for another device model may cause bricking, so if you are not a Galaxy Note 2 user, do not proceed.
- Your remaining battery percentage should not be less than 60 percent. This will prevent you from having power issues while the installation is ongoing, and therefore will prevent soft bricking of your device.
- Backup all of your data and files to avoid losing them, including your contacts, messages, call logs, and media files. This will ensure that you will always have a copy of your data and files. If your device is already rooted, you may use Titanium Backup. If you already have an installed TWRP or CWM custom recovery, you may use Nandroid Backup.
- Also backup your mobile’s EFS
- Your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 should be rooted
- You need to flash TWRP or CWM custom recovery
- Download nAOSP ROM
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Step by Step Installation Guide:
- Ensure that you have an unlocked Bootloader
- Connect your Sony Xperia S to your computer or laptop
- Copy the downloaded zip files to the root of your device’s SD card
- Open Recovery Mode by shutting down your device then simultaneously pressing the home and volume up buttons until it enters Recovery Mode.
For TWRP Users:
- Install TWRP 2.8.01
- Click ‘Back-Up’
- Choose ‘System and Data’, then swipe the confirmation slider
- Press the Wipe Button and click ‘Cache, System, Data’ then swipe the confirmation slider
- Return to the main menu and click ‘Install’
- Look for the zip file ‘nAOSP ROM’ then swipe the confirmation slider to start the installation
- Press ‘Reboot Now’ to restart your device
You now have installed Android 5.0.1 Lollipop on your Sony Xperia S.
If you have queries regarding the entire process, just ask through the comments section below.