How to Upgrade All Variants of LG G2
CyanogenMod 12 has already been installed on several devices including the LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S2, and Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Many people cannot wait for the official launch of the Android 5.0 Lollipop, so developers have been forming ways to provide this new OS to users. Among these alternative options, CyanogenMod 12 is the most preferred choice because it is based on Stock Android.
This article focuses on the installation process of Android 5.0 Lollipop through CyanogenMod 12 in all variants of LG G2 (including D800, D801, D802, LS980, and VS980). As a custom release, some things to expect are the following:
- Video recording is a common problem in CM 12 ROM
- GPS is also a bit problematic, so it is wiser to avoid using this feature
Before beginning the installation process, here are some notes that you have to consider:
- This step by step guide will only work for LG G2 D800, D801, D802, LS980, and VS980. If you are not sure about your device model, you may check it by going to your Settings menu and clicking ‘About Device’. Using this guide for another device model may cause bricking, so if you are not an LG G2 user, do not proceed.
- Your remaining battery percentage should not be less than 60 percent. This will prevent you from having power issues while the installation is ongoing, and therefore will prevent soft bricking of your device.
- Backup all of your data and files to avoid losing them, including your contacts, messages, call logs, and media files. This will ensure that you will always have a copy of your data and files. If your device is already rooted, you may use Titanium Backup. If you already have an installed TWRP or CWM custom recovery, you may use Nandroid Backup.
- Also backup your mobile’s EFS
- Your LG G2 should be rooted
- You need to flash TWRP or CWM custom recovery
- Download CyanogenMod 12
- Download Google Apps
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Step by Step Installation Guide:
- Connect your LG G2 to your computer or laptop
- Copy the downloaded zip files to the root of your device’s SD card
- Remove your phone’s connection from your computer or laptop by disconnecting your cable
- Shut down your LG G2
- Open Bootloader Mode by simultaneously pressing and holding the power and volume down buttons until a text appears on the screen.
- Select ‘Recovery’ in Bootloader Mode
For CyanogenMod Recovery Users:
- Through Recovery, back up your phone’s ROM
- Go to ‘Back-up and Restore’ then click ‘Back-up’
- Return to the Main Screen as soon as the ROM has been backed up successfully
- Go to ‘Advance’
- Click ‘Devlik Wipe Cache’
- Choose ‘Wipe Data / Factory Reset’
- Go to ‘Install zip from SD card’ and wait for the pop up window to appear
- Go to ‘Options’ and click ‘Choose zip from SD card’
- Look for the zip file ‘Deadly Venom’ and allow the installation to continue
- Return and flash the zip file for Google Apps
- Select ‘Go Back’ as soon as the installation has been completed.
- Restart your device by clicking ‘Reboot Now’
For TWRP Users:
- Click ‘Back-Up’
- Choose ‘System and Data’, then swipe the confirmation slider
- Press the Wipe Button and click ‘Cache, System, Data’ then swipe the confirmation slider
- Return to the main menu and click ‘Install’
- Look for the zip files ‘Deadly Venom’ and ‘Gapps’, then swipe the confirmation slider to start the installation
- Press ‘Reboot Now’ to restart your device
In case of Signature Verification Error, here’s how you can solve it:
- Open your Recovery
- Go to ‘Install zip from SD card’
- Go to ‘Toggle Signature Verification’. Click the power button to check if it is enabled or disabled. Make sure that it is disabled.
- Install the zip
That’s it! If you have additional questions regarding the installation process, do not hesitate to ask through the comments section. Note that you must let your LG G2 to rest for at least five minutes before you try out the features.