The Micromax A116 Canvas HD
Micromax A116 Canvas HD now has the much awaited CyanogenMod 12 update, but this is still the unofficial ROM so you should expect bugs and other issues to come up while you are using it. Just be patient with it because these issues can easily be fixed by the upcoming updates and it will soon be as stable as you would want it to be.
Micromax A116 is one of those average devices that does not really stand out among the strongly competitive smartphone market, but is very affordable. Some of its specifications are as follows:
- Five-inch screen
- HD resolution
- Quad core 1.2 GHz Cortex A7
- Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean operating system
- PowerVR SGX544 GPU
- 1 GB RAM
This article will give you a step by step instruction on how to install Android 5.0 Lollipop Custom ROM on your Micromax A116. Take note that this is a Custom ROM, so as said earlier, you should expect issues to pop up every now and then. Before proceeding with the instructions, here is a checklist of the things you need to know and accomplish first:
- This installation guide can only be used for the device Micromax A116 Canvas HD. If this is not your device model, do not proceed with the installation.
- The remaining battery percentage of your Micromax A116 should not be less than 60 percent
- Back up important files and data, including your messages, contacts, and call logs.
- Also back up your media files. This can be manually done by copying your files from your device to your computer. If you have root access, you can do this via Titanium Backup; or if you have CWM or TWRP on your device, the you can rely on Nandroid Backup.
- Your device needs to have root access
- Your device should have an installed Custom Recovery
- Download CyanogenMod 12
- Download Google Apps
Installing CyanogenMod 12 on your Micromax A116:
- Connect your Micromax A116 to your computer or laptop
- Copy the downloaded zip files to your SD card’s root
- Open recovery mode through the following steps:
- Open Command Prompt. This can be found in your Fastboot folder
- Type the command: adb reboot bootloader
- Select Recovery
- Back up your ROM using Recovery
- Go to Backup and Restore.
- When the screen pops up, click Back up
- Return to the main menu as soon as the back up has been finished
- Go to Advance
- Select Devlik Wipe Cache
- Go to Install zip from SD card
- Click Wipe Data / Factory Reset
- In the Options menu, press Choose zip from SD card
- Look for the zip file “CM 12” and allow the installation to proceed
- Flash the zip file Google Apps
- Wait for the installation to complete
- Click “Go Back”
- Select “Reboot Now”
Note that restarting your device for the first time after the installation may take as much as 30 minutes, so entertain yourself first while waiting.
If you have questions regarding the installation process, do not hesitate to post it through the comments section below.