Update Android One Devices
If you have an Android One Device and you want to get Android 4.4.4 KitKat on it, the easiest way to do so is to use CM 11 custom ROM. In this guide we’re going to show you how.
Prepare your phone:
- As this is a custom ROM and not an official release from Google that we’re going to use, you’re going to need to install a custom recovery and root your device.
- This guide and the ROM we are going to be using is only for Android One. Make sure you have the right device by going to Settings>About device.
- Charge your battery so that it has at least over 60 percent of its battery life.
- Backup your important contacts, call logs and SMS messages
- Backup your important media content by copying them manually to a PC or laptop
- Use Titanium Backup on your system data, apps and any other important contenet.
- Use Backup Nanadroid.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible. Download: CM11: Link Installation Process:
- Connect device to PC.
- Copy and paste the zip file you downloaded to the root of the device’s
- Disconnect the device and the PC
- Turn the device off and open it in Recovery mode. To do so, press and hold down the volume down and power buttons simultaneously.
CWM/PhilZ Touch Recovery:
- Use recovery to make a backup of your current ROM. To do so, go to Backup and Restore and choose Back-up.
- When the Back-up completes go back to the main menue.
- Go to ‘advance’ and from there choose ‘Devlik Wipe Cache’.
- Go to ‘Install zip from sd card’. You should see another window open in front of you.
- From the options presented, select ‘choose zip from sd card’.
- Choose the CM11.zip file
- Confirm installation on the next screen.
- When the installationis through, choose +++++Go Back+++++
- Choose RebootNow and your system should reboot. First boot could take up to 5-minutes. Just wait.
Solve Signature Verification Error:
- Open Recovery mode
- Go to ‘install zip from Sdcard’
- Go to Toggle Signature Verificationand from there, press the power button to check if it is disabled or not. If it is not yet disabled, disable it and then you should be able to install the zip without getting a signature verification error.
Have you used CM 11 on your device? Share your experience in the comments box below. JR