Use CM 11 Custom ROM To Update Sony Xperia P
Sony is no longer releasing updates for their Xperia P. The last update the Xperia P has was to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. Xperia P users who want to get a taste of KitKat are going to have to find a custom ROM.
CyanogenMod 11 is based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat and can be used with the Xperia P. In this guide, we’re going to show you how to install it.
Prepare your Phone:
- This guide is for Xperia P LT22i. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Your device’s bootloader needs to be unlocked
- Your battery has 60 percent of its charge.
- Back up important media content, messages, contacts and call logs.
- If you have a custom recovery, have Nandroid back up of your current ROM made.
- If your device is rooted, use Titanium Backup for your important apps.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Flash Android 4.4.2 KitKat CM 11 Custom ROM on Sony Xperia P LT22i:
- Download ROM zip file
- DownloadGoogle Gapps for Android 4.4 KitKat Custom ROM.
- Copy the two files downloaded aboveto phone’s internal or external sd card.
- Open downloaded.zip on PC and extract elf / Boot.img or / Boot.elf file only.
- DownloadAndroid ADB and Fastboot drivers
- Place elf / Boot.img or / Boot.elf extracted in step 4 in the fastbootfolder.
- Open fastboot Press shift and Right clickon an empty area inside the folder, now select “Open command prompt here“. flash it using the command
“fastboot flash boot boot.img”.
or “fastboot flash boot kernel.elf”
- Boot phone into CWM recovery. Turn off your device, and turn it on. Quickly press volume up and down keys.
- InCWM wipe the cache and dalvik
- Select“Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”.
- Select zip that your placed on phone’s Sd card.
- Select “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”.
- Choose theGapps.zip and flash it.
- When flashing is done, clear cache and dalvik.
- Reboot system, you should see the CM logo on the boot screen.
Do you have unofficial Android 4.4.2 Kitkat on your Sony Xperia P?
Share your experience in the comments box below.