Update The Sony Xperia Z1 C6902/C6906
Sony has been rolling out updates to Android 4.4.4 KitKat for a lot of their devices. The latest firmware, based on build number 14.4.A.0.108 is for the Sony Xperia Z1, the Z1 Compact and the Z Ultra.
The update is reaching different regions at different times through Sony PC Companion or OTA. If you own a Xperia Z1 C6902 or C6903 and you can’t wait for the official update, you can get it through the manual method.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how to manually update the Sony Xperia Z1 C6902/C6906 to Official Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware with the build 14.4.A.0.108 using the Sony Flashtool.
Prepare your phone:
- Check that your phone can use this firmware.
- This guide and the firmware is only for use with Sony Xperia Z1 C6902/C6906
- Check the model number by going to Settings -> About device.
- Using this firmware with other devices could result in bricking
- Have Sony Flashtool installed and set up
- After installation:
- Open Sony Flashtool, go to the Flashtool folder.
- Open Flashtool->Drivers->Flashtool-drivers.exe
- Install Flashtool, Fastboot and Xperia Z1 drivers.
- Make sure your battery has at least over 60 percent of its charge
- If your phone runs out of battery before the flashing process ends, the device could be bricked.
- Make sure that USB Debugging Mode is enabled
- Go to Settings -> Developer Options ->USB debugging.
- If there is no Developer Options in your Settings, try Settings -> about device and then tap the “build number” seven times
- Back everything up.
- Back up you sms messages, call logs, contacts
- Back up you media files by copying them to a PC or Laptop
- Download the firmware file
- Have an OEM data cable to connect the device to a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Update Xperia Z1 C6902/C6906 to official 14.4.A.0.108 Android 4.4.4 KitKatfirmware:
- Have the latest firmware Android 4.4.4 KitKat 14.4.A.0.108 FTF file downloaded.here for Xperia Z1 C6902 [Generic/Unbranded] and here for Xperia Z1 C6906 [Generice/Unbranded]
- Copy file and paste it in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe
- You will see a small lightning button on the top left corner. Hit it then select Flashmode.
- You will see the FTF file you flashed in the Firmware folder, select it.
- On the right side, select which ones want to wipe. We recommend wiping data, cache and apps log.
- Click OK and firmware will begin preparing for flashing.
- When the firmware is loaded, attach your phone by turning it off and continuously pressing the back key then attaching it to the PC with the data cable
Note: If you’re using a Xperia Z1, then use the Volume Down key instead of the back key.
- When the phone has been detected in Flashmode, stop pressing the Volume Down/Back key and let the firmware flash.
- When you see flashing ended or flashing finished, let go of volume down, take out the cable and reboot.
You should now find that you have installed Android 4.4.4 KitKat on your Xperia Z1.
Have you started using Android 4.4.4. KitKat on your Xperia Z1?
Have a question or want to share your experience?
you can do so in the comment section box below