The Sony Xperia Z1 C6906
The Sony Xperia Z1 can now be upgraded to Android 4.4.2 KitKat through OTA updates or the Sony PC Companion. However, if your region has not been included in the said update, you can still manually update your Xperia Z1 C6906 to the latest operating system by simply following the step by step procedure in this article. This official firmware will provide your Xperia Z1 with several improvements in terms of performance, including:
- A much better multi-tasking capability
- Enhanced responsiveness
- Improved camera
- Capacity for WiFi data transfer
Take note of the following requirements before proceeding with the installation of the official firmware:
- The instructions provided in this article can only be used for Sony Xperia Z1 C6906. If you are not sure what the model of your device is, you may verify it by going to the Settings menu and clicking ‘About device’. If your phone is of a different model, do not proceed. This guide can be done in any region, and in any country.
- Your Sony Xperia Z1 should have the Android 4.2.2 or Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
- Rooting your device or unlocking bootloader is not necessary since this is an official firmware.
- The remaining battery percentage of your Sony Xperia Z1 should be at least 60 percent. This will save you from power troubles during the installation.
- Install Sony Flashtool. Open the Flashtool folder. This can be found on the drive where you saved it. Click Drivers, then select ‘Flashtool-drivers.exe’. Install the drivers for Flastool, Fastboot, and Xperia Z1.
- Allow USB debugging mode. This can be done by going to your Settings menu, clicking ‘Developer options’ and enabling USB debugging. Alternatively, if you don’t have the ‘Developer options’ in your Settings menu, you may go to ‘About device’ in the Settings menu and click ‘Build Number’ seven times.
- Backup your text messages, contacts, and call logs. This will allow you to restore files in case a mishap occurs during the procedure.
- Use the OEM data cable to properly connect your device to your computer. This will stop you from having connection problems.
The step by step guide to install Android 4.4.2 KitKat 14.3.A.0.681 on your Xperia Z1 C6906:
- Download the latest firmware Android 4.4.2 KitKat 14.3.A.0.681 FTF file. [Generic – Canada]
- Extract the rar file to get the ftf file
- Copy the ftf file to the Firmwares folder found in Flashtool
- Open Flashtool.exe
- On the top right corner of your screen, click the small lightning button and then choose Flashmode
- Choose the FTF firmware file in the folder
- Click the data that you like to wipe. It is preferable to select data, apps log, and cache. Press OK.
- Wait for it prepare for flashing. This may take a while, so be patient.
- The firmware, once ready, will ask you to shut down your device while pressing the volume down key.
- Plug in the data cable while keeping the volume down key pressed. Continue doing so until the process has been finished
- A message “Flashing ended” or “Finished Flashing” should be displayed on your screen. When you see this message, release the volume down key, unplug the cable, and restart your device.
That’s it! If you have additional questions about the instructions, do not hesitate to ask through the comments section below.