Sony Xperia Z Review
In this post, we present a review of the latest flagship handset by Sony, the Sony Xperia Z. Does it have what it takes to become the leading smartphone? Is this the best of Sony’s experience? So read the full review to know the answer.
The description of Sony Xperia Z includes:
- Snapdragon 1.5GHz Quad-core processor
- Android 4.1.2 operating system
- 2GB RAM, 16GB internal storage together with an expansion slot for external memory
- 139mm length; 71mm width as well as 9mm thickness
- A display of 5 inches coupled with 1080 x 1920 pixels display resolution
- It weighs 146g
- Price of £522
- The Xperia Z has this huge 5-inch display; you can’t move your hand all the way across it.
- Weighing 146g, as a result, it feels slightly heavy in the hand.
- The quality of the physical material of the handset feels exceptional.
- Moreover, the IP57 certify protection against dust and water.
- The handset can withstand being submerged in 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes, which enables us to use the phone in the rain and other rough conditions.
- It has sharp edges and angles, Not very comfortable for the hands.
- The handset is available in three different colours. The black handset is a fingerprint magnet.
- The volume rocker button is present with the power along the right edge.
- On the left edge, there is a slot for microUSB and microSD card, both of them seal with neatly.
- There is no camera shutter button.
- There are a sealed micro-SIM slot and a headphone jack along the top side of the right edge.
- The backplate is nonremovable, thus you can not reach the battery.
- The fascia has no buttons at all.
- A hole has been put at the bottom corner of the handset for a lanyard.
- The 1080p display is absolutely stunning.
- The 441 pixel per inch feature is very impressive.
- Web browsing, gaming, and video viewing experience is great.
- In additionally, graphically rich games like GTA Vice City are fun to play.
- The picture and text clarity is an absolute pleasure to look at.
- Whereas the colours seem a bit faded.
- The screen is not as vibrant as it is supposed to be. The faults of the screen are not very distinct but they are there.
- There is a 13.1-megapixel camera at the back.
- While, the front camera is a mediocre 2.2 megapixel.
- However, you can record videos at 1080p.
The hardware specifications are great.
- There is a 1.5GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor with 2GB RAM.
- Additionally, Sony Xperia Z has Adreno 320 GPU.
- The processor just flies through all the tasks.
- We were not encounter a single lag during the testing.
Memory & Battery
- Sony Xperia Z has 16GB of built-in storage of which only 12GB is available to the user.
- Moreover, you can augment the memory by the addition of a microSD card.
- The 2330mAh battery will get you through a day of frugal use, for heavy you might need to keep the charger at hand. In fact, you can’t expect a lot from this battery.
- There is a new skinned user interface; it is very easy to use but there is nothing new or exciting about it. It can’t compete with Samsung’s TouchWiz or HTC’s Sense.
- There is a very useful power management app which has two main modes.
- Stamina Mode: This mode switches off the data connections when the screen is off. Moreover, this stops the extra usage of power when the phone is sitting in your pocket. You can set a whitelist, which includes an app that must be kept running when the screen is off.
- Low Battery Mode: This mode turns off many features and reduces the screen brightness when the battery is below 30%. The estimated time predictor helps you to use the Power Management App more efficiently.
- On the lock screen, there is a camera and music app.
- Wisepilot, Google Maps, Playstore, Walkman, Google Music and Play Movies are the only extra apps.
Sony has brought together some amazing features in a 7.9mm body. The phone has some stunning specifications, performance is excellent, design is unique; a little bulky but nice and the display is also good but the battery is a letdown. Overall a great high-end smartphone but many features are similar to other leading handsets due to which Xperia Z was not able to make its mark own in the market.
Finally, have a question or want to share your experience?
You can do so in the comment section box below