Xperia Z2 D6502 And D6503
Sony has now released an update for their Xperia Z2 to Android 5.02 Lollipop. This update has build number. While this update allows users to gain some fixes for bugs in the previous update, it causes the loss of root access.
In this post, we’re going to show you how you can root your Xperia Z2 after installing firmware build number 23.1.A.0.726. We are also going to show you how you can install Dual Recovery (TWRP and CWM) on your updated device.
This guide works for two variants of the Xperia Z2: D6502 and D6503. A number of the files we will use in the rooting process are specific for these Xperia Z2 variants, so using this guide on a device that is not one of these variants could result in bricking it.
In this post, we’re going to first give you a list of prerequisites you need to prepare your phone for rooting and custom recovery installation. Then we move on to how to gain root access and install custom recovery. Follow along.
Prepare your phone:
- Charge phone so that it has at least more than 60 percent battery life to prevent running out of power before the flashing process completes.
- Back up the following:
- Call logs
- SMS messages
- Media – copy files manually to a PC/laptop
- Enable USB debugging mode. First, go to Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging. If Developer Options is not available, go to About Device and look for your Build Number. Tap the build number seven times then go back to Settings. Developer options should now be activated.
- Install and setup Sony Flashtool. Open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe. Install the following drivers:
- Xperia Z2
If you don’t see Flashtool drivers in Flashmode, skip this step and instead, install Sony PC Companion
- Have an original OEM data cable available to make the connection between the device and a PC or laptop.
- Unlock your device’s bootloader
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Root Xperia Z2 D6503/D6502 23.1.A.0.726 Firmware
- Downgrade your device to .167 Firmware and Root It
- If your smartphone is already running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, you need to downgrade to KitKat OS and root it.
- Downloadthe latest firmware Android 4.4.4 KitKat 23.0.1.A.0.167 FTF file.
- Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .726 FTF
- Download and install PRF Creator .
- Download SuperSU zip . Place the downloaded file anywhere on thePC.
- Download .726 FTF. Place the downloaded file anywhere on thePC.
- Download Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Run PRFC. Add all three other downloaded files to it.
- Click Create. Leave all other options as is while creating the pre-rooted firmware.
- When the Flashable ROM is created, you will see a successful message.
- Copy pre-rooted firmware to phone’s internal storage.
Note: If you don’t want to create a pre-rooted flashable zip, you can download the flashable zip from one of these download links
- Root and Install Recovery on Z2 D6502/D6503 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware
- Turn off your phone.
- Turn your phone back on and press the volume up or down keys repeatedly to go to custom recovery.
- Click Install. Find the folder where you placed the flashable zip created/downloaded in step 2.
- Tap on and install the flashable zip
- If your phone and PC are still connected, disconnect them and reboot your phone..
- Go back to the .726 ftf downloaded in second step and copy the file to /flashtool/fimrwares
- Open Flashtool. Click the lightning icon in the top left corner.
- Click on Flashmode.
- Select.726 firmware.
- In right bar, you will see exclude options. Choose to exclude System only leave every other options as it is.
- While flashtool prepares software for flashing, turn off phone.
- Use the USB cable to connect your phone and the PC. While making the connection, keep the volume down button pressed/
- Phone will enter flashmode.
- Flashtool should automatically detect the phone and begin flashing.
- When flashing is finished, your phone will automatically reboot.
Have you installed dual custom recovery and rooted your Xperia Z4 D6502/D6503 running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware?
Share your experience in the comments box below.