Install CWM/TWRP Recovery
Samsung has updated their 3G/SM + Wi-Fi variant of their Galaxy Tab 3 to run Android 4.4.2 Kitkat.
Users who have updated to this will find that they’ve lost root access. If you’re looking root and to install CWM or TWRP on the Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T211 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware, follow our guide.
If you want to know a bit more about rooting and custom recovery and what it will do for your phone, check out our explanation below:
- Root Access: A rooted phone gives a user complete access over data which would otherwise be locked by manufacturers.
- You get the ability to remove of factory restrictions and restrictions to changing the phone’s internal system and operating system.
- You will be able to install apps to enhance device performance.
- You will be able remove built-in apps or programs
- You will be able upgrade battery life
- Some apps need root access during installation.
- Custom recovery: Allows a user to install custom roms and mods.
- Create Nandroid backup which allows you to revert to the previous working state for your phone.
- Sometimes when rooting a phone, you need to flash SuperSu.zip and that needs custom recovery.
- You can wipe the cache and dalvik cache
Prepare your phone:
- Use this guide only for the Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T211
- Have your phone battery charged to at least over 60 percent.
- Have an original data cable to establish a connection between your phone and a PC.
- Back up all important contacts
- Back up all important sms messages
- Back up important call logs
- Manually back up important media files to a PC.
- Turn off or disable Samsung Kies while running Odin3
- Tun off Anti-virus software while running Odin 3.
- Odin3 v3.09.
- Samsung USB drivers
- CWM 220.127.116.11 Recovery.tar.md5 for Galaxy Tab 3 here
- TWRP Recovery.tar.md5 for Galaxy Tab 3 here
- Root Package[SuperSu.zip] File for Galaxy Tab 3 here
Install CWM or TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T211 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat:
- Depending on your personal preference and your device, download CWM or TWRP Recovery.tar.md5 file.
- Open Odin3.exe.
- Put the device on download mode
- Turn it off then wait10 seconds.
- Turn it back on by simultaneously pressing and holding down the volume, home and power buttons.
- When you see a warning, press volume up.
- Connect Tab 3 to PC.
- When Odin detects the phone, the ID:COM box will turn blue.
- Odin 3.09: Go to AP tab. Select recovery.tar.md5
- Odin 3.07: Go to the PDA tap. Select recovery.tar.md5.
- Make sure the options selected in Odin match what’s in the photo below:
- Hit start. Wait for flash to complete.
- When flashing is complete, device should restart.
- Remove device from PC.
- Boot device into recovery mode
- Turn the power off.
- Turn device on by pressing and holding down the volume, home and power keys.
Root Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T211 running Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Copy and downloadRoot Package.zip file to the Tab’s SD card
- Boot into recovery mode like you did in step 10.
- Install > Choose Zip from SD card > Root Package.zip > Yes / Confirm
- Root Package will flash and you will gain root access.
- Reboot device.
- Find SuperSu or SuperUser in App Drawer.
- Go to the Google Play Store on your Tab 3.
- Look for Busybox Installer.
- When you find it, install.
- Run Busybox installer.
- Process with installation.
How to check if the device is properly rooted?
- Go to Google Play Store on the Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T211
- Find and install “Root Checker” Root Checker
- Open Root Checker.
- “Verify Root”.
- You will be asked for SuperSu rights, “Grant”.
- You will see Root Access Verified Now
Have you tried rooting your device?
Share your experience in the comment section below.