Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Phone and the Sony Xperia Z Ultra
With their Samsung Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 2, Samsung has set the bar for how other Android device manufacturers can experiment with ultra-large displays in their devices. The Sony Xperia Z Ultra is one device that pushes the limits to how ultra-large displays can be used. We take a look at how the Xperia Z Ultra stands up against the Galaxy Note 3 Phone.
Design and build
- The Sony Xperia Z Ultra follows the same design aesthetics as the Xperia Z. It’s just a little bigger and a little slimmer.
- The dimensions of the Xperia Z Ultra are 179.4 x 92.2 x 6.5 mm and it weighs 212 grams. It is one of the slimmest devices around.
- The Xperia Z Ultra has is rectangular shaped with an all-glass design.
- All the ports in the Xperia Z Ultra are covered with a piece of rubberized plastic. This means the device is effectively resistant to dust and water.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has dimensions of 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm and it weighs 168 grams.
- The Galaxy Note 3 is effectively smaller and lighter than the Xperia Z Ultra.
- The Galaxy Note 3 deviates from the design of previous Samsung devices with a faux leather back cover.
- This back cover makes the device soft to touch and easy to grip.
- With the Samsung trademark of a silver spine and it’s new back cover, the Galaxy Note 3 is a very stylish smartphone
- When choosing between these two devices in terms of design, the bottom line would be how big do you want your smartphone to be?
- The Sony Xperia Z Ultra has a 6.4-inch display, one of the largest found in any smartphone currently available.
- The Xperia Z Ultra uses Triluminos technology and an X-Reality engine for their display.
- The Xperia Z Ultra display has a 1080p resolution for a pixel density of 344 ppi.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has a smaller display than the Xperia Z Ultra.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has a 5.7 inch Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 1080p for a pixel density of 386 ppi.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 uses the same camera as the Galaxy S4. It has a 13MP shooter and a BSI sensor with LED flash, zero shutter lag and has Smart Stabilization.
- The Galaxy Note 3 camera has features that include Drama Shot, Animated Photo, Sound & Shot, Best Photo, Best Face, Eraser, Beauty Face, HDR, and Panorama.
- The Sony Xperia Z Ultra’s camera is not as good.
- The Z Ultra has an 8MP camera with no flash. This means that it takes decent photos in good lighting but not in low light.
- Both devices have a 2MP front camera
- The Sony Xperia Z Ultra has a 3,050 mAh battery
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has a 3,200 mAh battery.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has a removable battery.
- The Sony Xperia Z Ultra does not have a removable battery option
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has two processing packages for the LTE and #G versions. For the LTE version, it uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor that is clocked at 2.3 Ghz. For the 3G version, it has an octa-core processor with 1.9 Ghz.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 has 3 GB of RAM.
- The Galaxy Note 3 comes with either 32/64 GB of internal storage which you can expand to up to 64 GB with its microSD.
- The Sony Xperia Z Ultra uses a quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor clocked at 2.2 Ghz.
- It has 2 GB of RAM and provides 16 GB of internal storage as well as microSD expansion.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 uses Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and uses the TouchWiz UI overlay
- The Galaxy Note 3 has all the features found in the Galaxy S4 and includes new features such as Scrapbook, My Magazine, S Finder and several new or upgraded apps to use with the S-Pen.
- The Sony Xperia runs on the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and uses the Xperia UI.
- You get access to a lot of media-related Sony apps.
If you really want a big display or really dislike plastic devices, then you should go for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Otherwise, the Sony Xperia Ultra Z is an equally good device.
What do you think? Which device sounds better for you?