HTC J Butterfly VS Samsung Galaxy Note 2
HTC has announced their very own Android phablet, the HTC J Butterfly. This is also known as the DLX or Droid DNA. The HTC J Butterfly is it’s official name in Japan, but in the US, Verizon will be distributing it and calling it the DLX or Droid DNA.
So this review will focus on looking at the official specs of the HTC J Butterfly to see how it looks when placed next to the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has a 5.5-inch screen that uses HD Super AMOLED technology
- Equally, the HTC J Butterfly has a 5-inch screen that uses Super LCD 3 technology
- The Galaxy Note 2 has a resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels
- The HTC J Butterfly has a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels
- The Galaxy Note 2 has a pixel density of 267 pixels per inch
- The HTC J Butterfly has a pixel density of 440 pixels per inch
- The brightness levels, contrast ratios and viewing angles of the Super AMOLED display of the Galaxy Note 2 are excellent. However, many people feel that the color reproduction is not accurate, especially when we compare it with the colors you get from a Super LCD display such as you’ll find on the HTC J Butterfly.
- The HTC J Butterfly has what is considered to currently be one of the best displays found on a smart device.
Build Quality and Display
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 3’s measurements are 151.1 x 80.5 x 9.4 mm and it weighs 183g
- Similarly, the HTC J Butterfly measures 143 x 71 x 9.1 mm and it weighs 140g.
- The larger size of the Galaxy Note 2 is mostly because of its larger display.
- Both these devices are hard to use one-handed.
- The Galaxy Note 2’s design is practically identical to another Samsung device, the Galaxy S3.
- The Galaxy Note 2 is said to be a lot more sturdy than the Galaxy S3.
- The HTC J Butterfly is a beautifully designed phone.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has an Exynos 4 quad SoC, this uses quad-core Cortex A9 processors that clock at 1.6 GHz.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 also has a Mali MP-400 GPU.
- The Exynos 5 quad is one of the best SoC’s that are currently available for Android.
- The HTC J Butterfly is one of the first devices that will use a Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 Pro Soc. This will use a 1.5 GHz quat-core Krait and will have and Adreno 320 GPU.
- Both the Galaxy Note 2 and the HTC J Butterfly have 2GB RAM.
- For its primary camera the Galaxy Note 2 has an 8MP shooter and for its secondary camera, it has a 1.9 MP.
- For its primary camera, the HTC J Butterfly has an 8MP shooter and for its secondary camera, it has an 2 MP.
- The photo quality of these cameras is acceptable.
- The battery of the Note 2 is a 3,100 mAh
- While, the HTC J Butterfly battery is a 2,020 mAh.
- The HTC Butterfly is the faster device, though we need to actually see it perform before we can determine if its smaller battery will result in lower battery life.
- Both the HTC J Butterfly and the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 use Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
- The HTC J Butterfly uses an Android theme that is similar to what was used in the HTC Rhyme. There are no real improvements over the regular functionality of Android.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 has more useful and unique new features.
- The Note 2 features Smart Functions such as S-Beam and Stay Smart which we also find it in the Galaxy S3. However, there are also some features that are unique in the Galaxy Note 2 like Air View and real multitasking.
- What really sets the Galaxy Note 2 apart from other tablets is the S-Pen and S-Pen related features and apps.
- Because of its many unique features, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is the winner when it comes to software.
Both devices, the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 as well as the HTC J Butterfly, are great Android devices. It seems like the HTC J Butterfly isn’t really a phablet but an HTC One smartphone with a bigger and better display. If you want to upgrade your smartphone and don’t mind a bigger size, go for the HTC Butterfly DLX.
If you want a lot of screens real estate, consider the Galaxy Note 2. The display of the Note 2 is great, the hardware is pretty excellent, and the S-Pen features are unique and very good.
What do you think? While of these would you choose?