Google Nexus 9 and the Apple iPad Mini 3
Putting the 8-inch iPad Mini 3 against Google’s 9-inch Nexus 9, we try to help you determine which one is the best for your computer needs.
- Both offer an excellent overall user experience packaged up in a fairly mobile device
- Nexus 9 is just a little too large to be called “pocket sized”
- 4:3 aspect ratio devices
- Beyond HD displays
- Single power/data port at the bottom edge
- Volume rockers are on the right edge
- Rear facing cameras on the top left corner. Front facing cameras Centered above the display
- Nexus 9’s power button is on the right hand edge, IPad Mini 3’s is on top
- Nexus 9’s volume rockers have a slight bevelling to keep buttons from protruding, minimizing accidental presses
- Nexus 9 has dual speakers, one at the top and one at the bottom. iPad Mini 3 has speakers on the bottom edge
- Nexus 9 uses a micro USB port as its charging/data port. iPad Minin 3 uses Apple’s new Lightning port.
- Nexus 9’s back casing is plastic, while the iPad Mini 3 is of solid metal
- Nexus is 8.99-inches tall, 6.05 inches across and 7.85 mm thick
- iPad Mini 3 is 7.87-inches tall, 5.3-inches across and 7.2mm thick
- 9 inch display of Gorilla Glass 3 with a resolution of 2048×1536
- Viewing angles and brightness are adequate for everyday needs
- Auto brightness settings are accurate, but can be adjusted.
iPad Minis 3
- 9-inch IPS display, 4:3 aspect ratio with a a resolution of 2048×1536
- Auto brightness settings can be dark, but can be adjusted
- 64-bit Android Tablet
- Does well with memory management from ART
- Some issues with Lollipop
- Performs well with an AnTuTu benchmark score of about 58000
iPad Mini 3
- iOS 8.3
- 64-bit Soc and A7 chipset
- Applications load quick but there is some slow down with the larger applications and processes
- Nexux 9 64-bit Nvidia Tegra K1 processor with 2GB of RAM and a 192-core Kepler GPU
- iPad has a fingerprint sensor
- Nexus 9 has speakers powered by HTC’s BoomSound
- Nexus 9 has a double tap to screen to wake function
- iPad Mini 3 has a dedicated instant mute switch
- Nexus 9 sensors include: accellerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, compass and ambient light sensor
- iPad Mini 3 sensors include: gyro, accelerometer, and ambient light sensor.
- Nexus 9 is NFC capable
- 6700mAh battery
- 5 hours of basic web surfing, music or video playback
iPad Mini 3
- 6350mAh battery
- iPad Mini 4 has 10 hours of web surfing, music or video playback
- f/2.4 with auto-focus.
- Video recordings at full HD
- Panoramic capture
- Front has 1.2mp camera sensors
- Nexus 9 has a 8MP sensor
- iPad Mini 4 has a 5 MP sensor
- Nexus 9 has an LED flash
- Nexus 9 has Google’s Photo sphere
- Software performance for both is solid and fast.
- Nexus 9: 16GB/32GB/32 GB LTE – $399/479/599
- iPad Mini 3: 16GB/32GB/128GB – $399/499/599
Our recommendation for making your final choice between these two would be to go for the one that is most compatible with your other computing devices and accessories.
Which device do you think you prefer?