Install Android Lollipop 5.1.1 On A Galaxy Mega 6.8 I9152
When Samsung rolled out the Galaxy Mega, the device ran on Android Jelly Bean and eventually received an upgrade to Kitkat. Now, if you’re a Galaxy Mega 5.8 user, you can update to Android Lollipop by using a custom ROM.
If you use a custom ROM, you can get firmware that looks and feels like Android Lollipop. A good custom ROM to use is CyanogenMod 12.1. Another is Resurrection Remix Mod. In this how-to guide, we show you how to install a custom ROM and get Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on your Galaxy Mega 5.8 GT-I9154
Prep your phone by:
- Checking your device model by going to Settings -> About Device ->Model. The ROMs we describe here will only work with Samsung Galaxy Mega Dual GT -I9152, so it that is not your device, look for another guide.
- Make sure your device has a custom recovery installed.
- Make sure your battery is charged to at least over 60%.
- Backup all important media content such as contacts, call logs and your messages.
- If your device is already rooted, have Titanium Backup back up your important system data and apps.
- If you have a custom recovery, backup the current system with it.
- You will go through Data Wipes during ROM installation, so you will need to be sure that all the mentioned data is backed up.
- Have an EFS backup for your phone before flashing ROM.
- Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Guide to installing Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on a Samsung Galaxy Mega I9152 with a custom ROM.
- Download your chosen custom ROM a) cm-12.1-20150510-UNOFFICIAL-i9152.zip [CyanogenMod 12.1] b) Resurrection_Remix_LP_v5.4.5-20150518-i9152.zip
- Download a Gapps zip file. Make sure it’s for use with Android Lollipop.
- Connect your phone and your PC
- Copy the files for the custom ROM and Gapps to your phone’s storage.
- Disconnect your phone and turn your phone off.
- Boot your phone on TWRP recovery by pressing and holding the volume up, power key and home button.
- When you’re in TWRP recovery, wipe the cache as well as the factory data reset and advanced options and the dalvik cache.
- When all three are wiped, select the “Install” option.
- Select “Choose Zip from SD Card”
- Select the Gapps.zip file and press “Yes”
- You will see the Gapps flash on your phone.
- Reboot your phone.
- Android 5.1.1 Lollipop should be up and running.
Note: The first boot may take around 10 minutes, don’t worry if that’s the case. If it’s longer than that, try booting into TWRP recovery, wipe the cache and dalvic cache then reboot it again. If there are still issues, return to the old system by using Nandroid backup or install stock firmware.
Got a question? Go ahead and send us your question in the comment box below