Cat S50 is a handset for rough usage; it has been specifically designed for people who prefer the outdoor life. Can this handset keep up with the rugged
Cat S50 Review
Cat S50 is a handset for rough usage; it has been specifically designed for people who prefer the outdoor life. Can this handset keep up with the rugged lifestyle or not? Find out in our full review.
The description of Cat S50 includes:
- quad-core Snapdragon 400 1.2GHz processor
- Android 4.4 operating system
- 2GB RAM, 8GB internal storage and an expansion slot for external memory
- 5 mm length; 77 mm width and 12.7 mm thickness
- A display of 7 inches and 720 x 1280 pixels display resolution
- It weighs 185g
- Price of £330
- The design of the handset is not exactly nice; some people might be bold enough to call it ugly.
- The handset feels strong and durable in hands.
- The physical material is plastic but is very strong. It can handle more than a few drops without a single scratch.
- Each slot and port on the handset are sealed.
- All the corners of the device are rubberised and screws are visible on the edges which give it a rugged look.
- Weighing 185g it feels very heavy in the hand.
- 7mm thickness makes it very chunky.
- IP67 certifies that it is dust and water resistant.
- A well-sealed slot for SIM and volume button on the right edge.
- On the left edge, there is a microSD card slot and camera button.
- The headphone jack sits at the top edge.
- There are two speakers on the front while on the back there is a single large speaker. Sound clarity is not so great.
- The 4.7-inch screen has 720 x 1280 pixels of display resolution.
- Viewing angles of the handset are good.
- The colors seem a bit washed out.
- The display screen is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
- The overall display quality is average.
- On the back, there is an 8-megapixel camera.
- On the front, there is a VGA camera.
- The back camera sensor protrudes a little.
- Videos can be recorded at 1080p.
- The image quality is very poor; the colors seem faded while the image itself looks grainy.
- The quad-core Snapdragon 400 1.2GHz processor has become a little outdated.
- The processor is complemented by 2GB RAM.
- The processor runs all the apps smoothly, touch is also responsive.
Memory & Battery
- The handset has 8 GB of built-in storage.
- The memory can be enhanced by the use of microSD card.
- The 2630mAh non-removable battery will last many days without needing a charge. This feature might be very useful for people who live an outdoor life.
- Cat S50 runs Android 4.4 operating system.
- There is a number of Cat Apps which are not very useful. Of course, you will have access to the Android market; you can customize the phone according to your needs.
If you are a regular smartphone user you will definitely hate this phone for its ugly exterior and design. The display not very good either, the camera get complete failure but then again this phone not meant to be for normal users. Sleek and beautiful smartphones cannot last a single day in rough condition; these are exactly the conditions in which Cat S50 is a total winner. If you love outdoor life then you will love this phone.
Have a question or want to share your experience?
You can do so in the comment section box below