Enable OEM Unlock On A Device Running Android Lollipop/Marshmallow
A new security feature has been introduced by Google into Android starting from Android 5.0 Lollipop and up. This feature is called OEM unlock.
What is OEM unlock?
If you have tried to root your device or unlock its bootloader or flashed a custom recovery or ROM on is, you might have seen that the OEM unlock option needs to be checked before you can continue in those processes.
OEM unlock stands for original equipment manufacturer unlocking option and that option is there to restrict your ability to flash custom images and bypass the bootloader. If your device is stolen or lost and someone tries to flash custom files or get data from your device, if OEM unlock is not enabled then they will not be able to do so.
If OEM unlock is enabled and you have a pin, password or patter lock on your phone, then users will not be able to un-enable OEM unlock. The only thing that can be done would be wiping the factory data. This ensures that no one will be able to access your data without permission.
How to enable OEM Unlock on Android Lollipop and Marshmallow
- The first thing that you will need to do is to go to the settings on your Android device.
- From your Android device’s settings, scroll all the way down to the bottom till you find About device.
- In About Device, look for your device’s build number. If you do not find your build number here, try going to About Device> Software.
- Once you have found your device’s build number, tap on it seven times. By doing this, you will enable your device’s developer options.
- Go back to your device’s Settings> About Device> Developer Options.
- After you have opened developer options, look for the OEM unlock option. This should be either the 4th or 5th option listed in this section. Make sure that you turn on the small icon that you find next to the OEM unlock option. This will enable the OEM unlock function on your Android device.
Have you enabled OEM unlock on your device?
Share your experience in the comments box below.