Use SlimKat ROM To Update The Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727 To Android 4.4.4 KitKat
Samsung has announced that they will be releasing an official update to Android 4.4.4 KitKat for some of their devices. The devices to receive this official firmware will be those released in 2013 or later. If you have an older device, one released in later then 2012, you are not going to be able to get the official firmware.
If you have a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, the last official update you got was to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and you are not in line to get the official update to Android 4.4.4 KitKat. This doesn’t mean you can’t update your device though as there are still custom ROMS.
The SlimKat custom ROM is based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat and can be installed in the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727. Follow along with our guide below.
tweaks. Just follow along with our guide.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is only for use with a Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727. Check that you have the correct device model by going to Settings>About Device
- Have your phone charged to 60-80 percent.
- Back up all your important, contacts, text messages and call logs
- Have a back up of your devices EFS Data.
- Enable USB debugging mode
- Download USB driver for Samsung Device.
- Enable root access on your device.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat SlimKatROM: Link
- Connect your device to the PC where you downloaded the ROM
- Copy and paste the downloaded zip files to the root of your devices sdcard.
- Disconnect the cable.
- Turn the device off.
- Open the device in recovery mode by pressing and holding down the volume up, home and power buttons till some text appears on screen.
Now, depending on what kind of custom recovery you have on your device, follow one of the two sets of steps show below
CWM/PhilZ Touch Recovery Users:
- Use your recovery to create a back-up of your ROM. To do so, go to Back-up and Restore and on the next screen, choose Back-up
- Return to the Main Screen after back-up is complete.
- Choose ‘Wipe Cache’.
- Go to ‘advance’ and choose ‘Devlik Wipe Cache’.
- T Choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
- Go to ‘Install zip from sd card’.Another window should open in front of you.
- From the options presented, pick ‘choose zip from sd card’.
- Select the SlimKat.zip file and confirm its installation on the next screen.
- When installation is over, Select +++++Go Back+++++
- Select RebootNow so the system reboots.
- Tap on the Wipe Buttonand the select Cache, System, Data.
- Swipe Confirmation Slider.
- Return to the Main Menuand tap the Install Button.
- Locate zip, then swipe the Sliderto install.
- When installationis finished, you should be promoted to Reboot System Now
- Reboot the System.
What if you get a Solve Signature Verification Error?
- Open Recovery.
- Go to install zip from Sdcard
- Go to Toggle Signature Verificationand press the Power Button to see if it is disabled or not. If not disable it and then you should be able to install the zip without any further errors.
Have you used SlimKat on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket?
Share your experience in the comments box below.