Use OmniROM To Get Android 4.4.4 KitKat
Sony released their mid-range device, the Xperia V, in 2012. It has some pretty nice specifications and is a favorite among Android device users. Sony recently released an update for the Xperia V to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, but that’s the last word we’ve had to any official updates to for this device.
The OmniROM is a custom ROM based on Android 4.4.4 KitKat, and it works for the Xperia V. Given the lack of updates from Sony, this is a good way to update your Xperia V. Follow along with our guide below and you can update your device.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide and the custom ROM we are installing are only for the Sony Xperia V. If you try this with another device, it could brick it. Make sure you have the correct device by going to Settings>About Device.
- Make sure you’ve charged the battery to at least over 60 percent.
- Unlock your devices bootloader
- Back up important SMS messages, contacts and call logs.
- Back up all important media files manually by copying them to a PC or laptop.
- Create a backup EFS.
- If you already have root access on your phone, use Titanium Backup to back up your apps, system data and any other important content.
- If you have a custom recovery installed, use Backup Nandroid on your device.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat On Sony Xperia V:
- Download the custom ROM file: omni-4.4.4-20140829-tsubasa-NIGHTLY.zip
- Download Google Gapps.zip. Make sure what you download is for Android 4.4.4 KitKat Custom ROM.
- Place both downloaded .zip files on either your phone’s internal or external sd card.
- Download Android ADB and Fastboot drivers.
- Open downloaded ROM.zip onto a PC and extract the Boot.img file .
- In the boot.img file that you extracted, you should find a kernel file. Place this kernel file into your fastboot folder.
- Open the fastboot folder. When it is opened, press shift and right click on an empty area inside the folder, choose “Open command prompt here“. When the common prompt opens, type in the following command: “fastboot flash boot boot.img”.
- Boot your device into CWM custom recovery. Turn off your device and turn it on. As you turn it on, and quickly press volume up key to get
- In CWM wipe factory data, cache and dalvik cache.
- “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”.
- Select ROM.zip file that you placed on the phone’s Sd card.
- After a few minutes, the ROM should have flashed.
- “Install Zip>Choose Zip from Sd card / external Sd card”. Again, but this time choose and flash the Gapps.zip file.
- When flashing is done, clear cache and dalvik cache again.
- Reboot the system and you should see the Omni ROM logo on the boot screen.
The first reboot could take as long as 10 minutes, be patient and you should be able to enjoy unofficial Android 4.4.4 KitKat custom ROM on your Sony Xperia V.
Have you used OmniROM on your device?
Share your experience with us in the comments box below.