Use Dirty Unicorns Custom ROM On A Samsung Galaxy S2
The AT&T version of the Samsung Galaxy S2 is known as the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and has the model number SGH I727. This device initially ran on Android Ginger Bread but has since been updated to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean – unfortunately, this seems to be the last update the device is officially going to get.
Don’t worry though as you can update the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket using a custom ROM called Dirty Unicorns. Follow along with our guide below and get Android 4.4.4 KitKat on the
Prepare your phone:
- This guide and the custom ROM we are installing are only for the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727. Using this with another device, could brick it. Make sure you have the correct device by going to Settings>About Device.
- Charge the battery to at least over 60 percent.
- Have a custom recovery, either TWRP or CWM installed on your phone. Use Nandroid Backup on your device.
- Back up important SMS messages, contacts and call logs.
- Back up all important media files manually by copying them to a PC or laptop.
- Create a backup EFS.
- If you already have root access on your phone, use Titanium Backup to back up your apps, system data and any other important content.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Copy both these files onto your phone’s SD card.
Install Android 4.4.4 KitKat On Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket With Dirty Unicorns Custom ROM:
- Boot your phone into recoverymode by first turning if off completely then turning it back on by pressing and holding the volume up, home and power keys.
- When you see the screen turn back on let go of the three buttons. You should boot into recovery mode.
- From recovery, perform a factory data reset and wipe cache.
- “Install Zip > Choose Zip from SDcard > locate the du_skyrocket-OC-4.4.4_20140704-2032.zip file > Yes”. This should flash the ROM file
- When the ROM is flashed “Install Zip > Choose Zip from SDcard > locate the pa_gapps-modular-micro-4.4.4-20140708-signed.zip file > Yes”. This will flash Gapps.
- When Gapps is flashed, wipe cache and dalvik cache from recovery and reboot the device.
- The first boot could take up to 10 minutes. Wait for it to finish.
- When the device boots up, you should see the Dirty Unicorns Android 4.4.4. KitKat ROM.
Have you used Dirty Unicorns ROM on your device?
Share your experience in the comments box below.