Update Samsung’s Galaxy S3 I9305
Samsung has yet to announce an update to Android 4.4 KitKat for their former flagship device, the Galaxy S3. The device is set to receive the update and there are rumors that the update will roll out during the first quarter of 2014 – but these are unconfirmed.
If you have a Galaxy S3 and you can’t wait for the official update to get a taste of KitKat on your device, you can install a custom ROM. Cyanogen Mod 11 is based on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat and can work with several devices, including the Galaxy S3 I9305.
In the following post, we are going to show you how you can install CyanogenMod 11 on a Galaxy S3 I9305 to get KitKat on it.
Prepare your device
- You should only use this ROM with a Samsung Galaxy S3 I9305. Check your device model by going to Settings>About device> Model.
- Charge the battery to at least 60 percent. This will prevent you from running out of power before the ROM flashes.
- Have an OEM data cable you can use to connect your phone and a PC.
- Back up important contacts, SMS messages and call logs.
- Back up your important media content by copying them onto a PC.
- If you have root access, use Titanium Backup for your apps and data.
- You need to have CWM or TWRP recovery installed. When you have installed either of these, use it to make a nandroid backup.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Place the downloaded files to the external or internal SD card of your phone.
- Boot your phone into custom recovery.
- From custom recovery choose to wipe factory data.
- Select Install>Choose Zip>locate file where you placed it> Choose the ROM.zip file. This will install the ROM.
- After the ROM is installed, repeat the process, but this time choose the Gapps.zip file. Flash Gapps.
- Reboot your device, the first boot will take a few minutes so just wait.
Have you installed CyanogeMod 11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat on your Galaxy S3?
Share your experience in the comments box below.