The Sony Xperia U is a low-end Android device that ran on Android 2.3 Ginger Bread initially. Sony released an update to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich fo
Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat On Sony Xperia U
The Sony Xperia U is a low-end Android device that ran on Android 2.3 Ginger Bread initially. Sony released an update to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich for the Xperia U but that has been the last official word of updates for this device.
Android 4.4 KitKat has already rolled out and, if you have an Xperia U and you want to get a taste of this, you’re going to need to install a custom ROM.
A good custom ROM that works with the Xperia U is CyanogenMod 11 based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Currently this is a nightly build so it still has a lot of bugs. If you’re not an expert with custom ROMs it might not be suitable for use every day. However, if you still really want to install this ROM, follow along with our guide below.
Prepare your phone
- You should only use this guide with an Xperia U. Check your device’s model number by going to Settings>About Device.
- You need to have Sony Flash Tool installed. Use Flashtool to install the Fastboot drivers and the drivers for the Xperia U.
- Your phone needs to be charged to at least over 60 percent.
- Back up your important contacts, SMS messages and call logs.
- Have an OEM data cable on hand to connect your phone to your PC.
- Turn off any antivirus and firewall programs on your PC first.
- Enable phone’s USB debugging mode by going to Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging mode.
- If you have root access on your device, use it’s Titanium Backup on you important systems data and apps.
- If you already have custom recovery on your phone, back up your current system.
- Wipe you phone’s data, cache and dalvik cache for a clean install.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat CM 11 on Sony Xperia U:
Install CWM Recovery:
- Open Sony Flashtool. You should see a small lightening button on Flashtool. Click on the button and then select Fastboot mode.
- You should now see the Fastboot window. Choose the option select kernel to flash and select the boot.img file you downloaded in step a.
- Follow the instructions you see on screen to flash the kernel.
- When the kernel has been flashed, disconnect your phone from the PC.
Flash CM 11 Custom ROM
- Place both of these downloaded files on the SD card of your phone.
- Boot your phone into CWM recovery by first turning it off then turning it on. When it boots up, press volume down quickly and continuously.
- Choose to wipe the cache and, in Advanced, wip dalvik cache.
- Select Install Zip> Choose Zip from SD card. Select the ROM file you downloaded. Proceed with installation.
- When the ROM has been installed, repeat the process, but this time choose the Gapps file your downloaded.
- When Gapps has been installed, reboot your phone.
Have you used CM 11 custom ROM on your device?
Share your experience in the comments box below.