The Asylum Omni Custom ROM
Samsung’s first Galaxy Note ran Android 2.3 Ginger Bread out of the box but was updated to Ice Cream Sandwich and eventually Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. The update to Jelly Bean was the last official update however and Samsung has yet to announce plans to update the Galaxy Note to Android 4.3 or Android 4.4 KitKat. Using the asylum omni custom ROM, Samsung Galaxy Note could install Android 4.4 KitKat.
If you have a Galaxy Note and you want to get KitKat on it, it looks like you’re going to need to use a custom ROM. A good custom ROM for this purpose is the Omni Custom ROM. Based on Android 4.4 KitKat, this ROM is compatible with the Galaxy Note GT-N7000.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is only for a Galaxy Note GT-N7000. If try this with other devices you could brick the device.
- Your phone needs to have root access and CWM custom recovery installed.
- Use CWM recovery to create a backup of your current ROM. NOTE: The Omni ROM version we are using here is still in its early stages and there are a lot of bugs. The easiest way to revert back to your last working system is to use a backup.
4.. Back up all important contacts, call logs, SMS messages and media files.
5..Charge phone’s battery to over 60 percent to prevent running out of power before ROM is flashed.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, ROMs and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install Android 4.4 KitKat Asylum Omni Custom ROM on Galaxy Note:
- Place the four files you downloaded above to the SD card of your device.
- Boot into custom recovery:
- Turn off the device completely.
- Turn it back on by pressing and holding theVolume Up + Home Button + Power buttons at the same time.
- Once in custom recovery: “Install Zip>Choose Zip from sd/ext sd>Select Raw Kernel.zip file”.
- Proceed with installation.
- When Raw Kernel has finished flashing to be finished reboot into recovery again, BUT do not reboot the system.
- Go to the wipe options and choose to wipe cache and Dalvik
- Choose: “Install Zip>Choose Zip from sd/ext sd>Select Asylum Omni.zip ROM file” and select “Yes”.
- After ROM flashes, repeat this step but select the zip file.
- After Gapp’s flashes, repeat this step but select the zip file.
Have you installed this ROM on your device?
Share your experience in the comments box below.