AOSP ROM to Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow
The AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM can now be used on a Galaxy Grand GT-I9082 and GT-I9082L. By flashing this ROM on their Galaxy Grand, users can get the look and feel of Android 6.0 Marshmallow on their device.
The Galaxy Grand is a mid-ranger from Samsung that was released way back in 2013. It originally ran on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and was upgraded to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean but that was as far as official updates went.
The Android 6.0 Marshmallow AOSP ROM is so far the only way to get the look and feel of Marshmallow on a Galaxy Grand. However, since the current version of this ROM is in the alpha stages, it is still a bit buggy and unstable and while most mainstream features are working but other features are not working yet.
Here is a list of what’s working:
- Calls, Mobile Data, SMS
- WiFi and Bluetooth
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Compass, etc.
What is not working
- Gesture typing on the keyboard. If you want to get gesture typing with this ROM you will need to get and install the Google Keyboard from the Play Store.
- Google Play Movies
- The FM Radio
- SELinux remains in permissive mode
- Runtime storage permission.
- Wake up can cause music to stutter
So basically, if you want to flash this ROM now in its alpha stage on a Galaxy Grand, you will only be able to enjoy the Marshmallow firmware. If you are still interested, follow along with our guide below.
Prepare your device
- This ROM is only for a Galaxy Grand GT-I9082 and GT-I9082L. Don’t use it with other devices as it could brick the device.
- Your Galaxy Grand needs to already be running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. If yours is not, update it first before flashing this ROM.
- Charge battery of device to at least over 50 percent to prevent it from running out of power before ROM is flashed.
- Have CWM Recovery installed. Use it to create a Nandroid backup of your device.
- Create an EFS backup for your device.
- Back up important contacts, SMS messages and call logs.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Connect your device to your PC.
- Copy the downloaded zip files to your device’s storage.
- Disconnect the device and turn it completely off.
- Boot your device into CWM recovery by pressing and holding the volume up, home and power buttons.
- When in CWM recovery, choose to wipe the cache, factory data reset and dalvik cache. Dalvik cache will be found in advanced options.
- Install zip > Choose Zip from SD card > Select AOSP Marshmallow.zip file > Yes
- The ROM will be flashed on your device. When it is through, go back to recovery’s main menu.
- Install Zip > Choose Zip from SD card > Select Gapps.zip file > Yes
- Gapps will be flashed on your device.
- Reboot your device.
Have you used this ROM to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on your Galaxy Grand?
Share your experience in the comments box below.