The Sony Xperia Z2
The Sony Xperia Z2 was released to consumers with an Android 4.4.2 Kit-Kat operating system. This has been updated to the version Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat and can now receive the latest version of the OS, the Android 5.0 Lollipop, along with other devices in the Xperia Z brand. Some consumers are patiently waiting for this update, whereas others are too excited to wait for the official launch of the OS. Thankfully for the latter type of users, there are awesome developers who have already created an unofficial build for the Android Lollipop, and this is based on Custom ROMs.
For starters, Android 5.0 Lollipop comes with several developments in the user interface, which is now called Material Design. Krabappel2548, a known developer of XDA, has formulated such kind of unofficial build using the Custom ROM AOSP. Being an unofficial version of the OS, this expectedly comes with several bugs, but it carries the basic features that can be expected on Android 5.0 Lollipop nonetheless. The working features include: texts, calls, connectivity options like Bluetooth, mobile data, and Wi-Fi, auto-brightness, vibration, sound, sensors, LED, screen, and SELinux. Meanwhile, expect the camera, call microphone, GPS, and YouTube video playback to have certain issues in performance.
Before proceeding with the step by step guide for the Android 5.0 Lollipop AOSP Custom ROM for your Sony Xperia Z2, it is imperative to take note of the following reminders:
- This step by step guide can only be used for the Sony Xperia Z2. If you’re not sure about your device model, you may check it by going to your Settings menu then clicking ‘About Device’. Using this guide on a device other than Sony Xperia Z2 may lead to bricking your phone.
- You need to have a prior knowledge of Custom ROMs and to be an Android pro user. It is not recommendable for those who are trying this for the first time to do the procedure as it comes with its own risks.
- Your remaining battery percentage prior to the installation should be at least 60 percent. Soft bricking may occur to your phone if you lose battery during the installation process.
- Backup your files, especially your phone contacts, messages, call logs, and media file. This will prevent you from unexpectedly losing important data. Rooted devices may use Titanium Backup, while those with an installed CWM or TWRP Recovery may use Nandroid backup.
- Enable bootloader. This is needed so that you can flash the Custom ROM.
The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Download the following files before the installation process:
- Sony Xperia Z2 AOSP 5.0 Beta v3.0
- Android ADB and Fastboot drivers
Step by step installation guide for Android 5.0 Lollipop on Sony Xperia Z2 through the AOSP Custom ROM
- Extract the Sony Xperia Z2 ROM.zip file in order to get the system.img and boot.img files
- Open the zip file and copy the .img files to the minimal ADB and Fastboot folder.
- While in Fastboot mode, connect your device to your computer or laptop. To do this step, shut down your device and connect your device while pressing the volume up button. Your computer or laptop will detect that your Sony Xperia Z2 is in Fastboot mode and a blue light shall appear on your phone’s LED
- On your computer or laptop, open the Minimal ADB and Fastboot.exe
- Type the following commands once you have opened the exe file
- “fastboot devices” – this will just verify that your phone is properly connected to fastboot mode
- “fastboot flash boot boot.img”
- “fastboot flash userdata userdata.img”
- “fastboot flash system system.img”
- Unplug your Sony Xperia Z2 from your laptop or computer as soon as you have flashed all the files
- Restart your device in Recovery mode, then wipe cache and dalvik cache
- Restart your device again and verify if you have successfully installed Android 5.0 Lollipop
Installation process for GApps Now
- Download the Gapps.zip for Android 5.0 Lollipop
- Copy the file to the SD card of your Sony Xperia Z2
- Open Recovery Mode. This can be done by restarting your device and immediately pressing the volume up button simultaneously.
- Click ‘Install zip’
- Press ‘Choose zip from SD card’
- Click ‘Select the Gapps.zip file’
- Flash GApps
- Restart your Sony Xperia Z2
Congratulations! You have now successfully updated your device’s OS to Android 5.0 Lollipop.
If you have questions regarding the process or if there’s anything that you wish to clarify, just type your questions at the comments section below.