The Official Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
Sony has begun releasing an update to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop for their 2014 mid-rangers the Xperia M2 and M2 Dual. The update has build number 18.6.A.0.175 and Sony has begun rolling it out via OTA and PC Companion.
As is typical for Sony updates, this update is hitting different regions at different times. If it hasn’t gotten to your region yet and you just cannot wait, you can flash it manually using Sony Flashtool.
In this post, were going to show you how you can use Sony Flashtool to install latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on an Xperia M2 Dual.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is only for use with a Sony Xperia M2 Dual D6503, D6502 and D6543. Make sure that your phone is one of these by going to Settings> About Device and checking the model number.
- Charge your phone so you have at least over 60 percent of your battery. This is to ensure you don’t run out of power before installation completes.
- Back up your SMS messages, call logs and contacts. Back up your important media content by copying them manually to a PC or laptop.
- Enable USB debugging by first to Settings>About Device. In About Device, look for the build number. Tap build number 7 times to activate Developer Options. Go back to Settings and click Developer Options>Enable USB debugging.
- Install and set up Sony Flashtool on your device. After installing, open the Flashtool folder. Open Flashtool> Drivers> Flashtool-drivers.exe. Install the drivers: Flashtool, Fastboot, Xperia M2 Dual
- Have an original data cable to connect your phone and a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Latest firmware Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 18.6.A.0.175FTF
- Copy the file your downloaded and paste it in Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe
- Look for the small lightening button on Flashtool’s top left corner. Hit the button and then select Flashmode.
- Select the FTF firmware file from step 1.
- Starting from the right side, select what you want wiped. We recommend you wipe Data, Cache and Apps log.
- Click Ok. The firmware will be prepped for flashing. This could take a while so just wait.
- When the firmware is ready, you will see a prompt telling you to attach your phone.
- Turn your phone off and keep the volume down key pressed while plugging in the data cable.
- Keeping the volume down button pressed, wait for your phone to be detected in Flashmode. When it is, firmware will start flashing. Keep the volume down key pressed until the process finishes.
- When the process ends, you will see a “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing” message. That is the only time you can un-press the volume down key.
- Plug cable out and reboot the device.
Have you installed Android 5.1.1 on your Xperia M2 Dual?
Share your experience in the comments box below.