The Official Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
Sony has released an update to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop for their Xperia Z series. The original devices in these series ran Android Jellybean and they also previously received updates to KitKat.
For the Xperia ZL, the variants that are getting this update are C6503 and C6506. This update has build number 10.7.A.0.222 and is being released via OTA and Sony PC Companion.
As is usually the case, the updates are reaching different regions at different times. If the update is not in your region yet and you just cannot wait, you can flash it manually. In this post, we are going to show you how to update the Xperia ZL to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop with build number 10.7.A.0.222 firmware with Sony Flashtool.
Prepare your phone
- This guide should only be used with a Sony Xperia ZL C6503 and C6506. If you use it with another device you could brick the device. Check your model number by going to Settings>About Device.
- Charge battery to at least over 60 percent to prevent running out of power before flashing is done.
- Back up important contacts, SMS messages and call logs. Back up any important media files by copying them to a PC or Laptop.
- Enable device’s USB debugging mode by going to Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging. If you do not find developer options you will need to activate it. To activate go to Settings>About Device. Look for build number and tap 7 times. Go back to settings and you should now find developer options.
- Have Sony Flashtool installed and setup on your device. After installing Sony Flashtool, open Flashtool folder. Open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and from there, install Flashtool, Fastboot and Xperia ZL drivers.
- Have an OEM data cable to connect device to a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
The latest firmware Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 10.7.A.0.222 FTF file.
- Copy and face downloaded firmware file to Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe
- Look for small lightening button on top left corner of Flashtool. Hit button and select Flashmode.
- Select FTF file that you placed in the Firmware folder.
- On right side, choose what to wipe. We recommend you wipe data, cache and apps log.
- Click OK and firmware will be prepared for flashing
- When firmware finishes loading, you will get a prompt to attach phone to a PC. Turn phone off and press the volume down key.Keeping the volume down key pressed, plug in the data cable.
- Don’t let go of volume down key. If you connected your device properly, your phone should automatically be detected in Flashmode and firmware will begin flashing.
- When you see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing”, let go of volume down key, unplug the device and it will reboot.
Have you installed Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on your Sony Xperia ZL?
Share your experience in the comments box below.