Update To Official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 23.1.A.0.690 Firmware
Two days ago, Sony released an update to Android 5.0.2 for their Xperia Z2 Tablets. The Xperia Z2 Tablet was released in 2014 as part of the Xperia Z2 family. The tablet originally ran on Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
The update to Lollipop for the Xperia Z2 Tablet is being released via Sony PC companion or OTA. It is hitting different regions at different times. If the update has not hit your region yet and you just cannot wait, you can flash it manually.
In this post, we’re going to show you how you can use Sony Flashtool to manually update an Xperia Z2 Tablet SGP 511, 512 and SGP 521 to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is only for use with a with an Xperia Z2 Tablet SGP 511, 512 and SGP 521. Don’t use it with any other device, as you could brick the device. Go to Settings>About Device, and look for the model number there.
- Charge device to over 60 percent battery life to prevent you from running out of power before flashing completes.
- Back up the following:
- Call logs
- SMS messages
- Media – copy files manually to a PC/laptop
- If device is rooted, use Titanium Backup on system data, apps and important content.
- If device has custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP, make a Backup Nandroid.
- Enable USB debugging mode. Go to Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging. If you don’t see Developer Options, go to About Device and look for the Build Number. Tap build number seven times then go back to Settings. Developer options should be activated.
- Install and setup Sony Flashtool. Open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe. Install the following drivers:
- Xperia Z2 Tablet
- Have an original OEM data cable available to make the connection between the device and a PC or laptop.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
The latest firmware Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 23.1.A.0.690 FTF file that is appropriate for your device.
Update Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet To Official Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 23.1.A.0.690 Firmware
- Copy and paste the file you downloaded to Flashtool>Firmwares folder.
- Open Flashtool.exe
- On the top left corner of Flashtool, you should see a small lightening button, hit this button and then select Flashmode.
- Select the file placed in the Firmware folder in step 1
- Select what you want to wipe, starting from the right side. It is recommended that you wipe Data, cache and apps log.
- Click OK, and firmware will begin preparing for flashing
- When firmware is loaded, you will be prompted to attach your device to your PC. Do so by first turning the device off and keeping the volume down key pressed while plugging the data cable in.
- When phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware will begin flashing. NOTE: Keep the volume down key pressed until the flashing process ends.
- When flashing is finished, you will see “Flashing ended or Finished Flashing”. Let go of the volume down key. Unplug cable and reboot the device.
Have you installed Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on your Xperia Z2 Tablet?
Share your experience in the comments box below.