The Sony Xperia ZL C6503
Sony’s Xperia ZL c6503 is actually quite similar to their flagship, the Sony Xperia Z1. The hardware specs and software features of these two devices are practically the same.
Out of the box, the Xperia ZL has Android 4.1.2 and Sony previously provided an update to Android 4.2.2 and they have now announced an update for the Xperia ZL to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
As is usual for Sony updates, the update for the Xperia ZL is arriving at different times to the different regions. If the update has not officially arrived in your region, you have two choices. The first is to wait for the official update, the second is to flash it manually.
In this post, we’re going to teach you how you can manually flash Android 4.3 firmware with build number 10.4.B.0.569 on a Sony Xperia ZL C6503. Follow along.
Prepare your phone
- This guide should only be used with a Sony Xperia ZL C6503. Use this with another device and you could end up with a bricked device. Check the device’s model number by going to Settings>About Device> Model
- Your phone needs to already be running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean or Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
- Install and setup Sony Flashtool.
- After installing Sony Flashtool, open the Flashtool folder. Open Flashtool> Drivers> Flashtool-drivers.exe> Flashtool, Fastboot and Xperia ZL c6503 Drivers.
- Charge phone to at least over 60 percent. This is to prevent running out of power before the process is done.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your phone. Go to Settings> Developer Options> USB debugging. If there are no developer options in your settings, activate them by going to Settings>About Device and looking for your phone’s build number. Tap build number 7 times. Go back to settings; developer options should now be available.
- Have an OEM data cable to make the connection between your device and your PC
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, ROMs and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
After downloading this file, copy and paste it to Flashtool>Firmwares folder
- Open Flashtool. You will see a small lighting button on its top left corner. Hit it and then select Flashmode.
- Select the downloaded firmware file.
- On Flashtool’s right side, there will be a list of wipe options. We recommend that you wipe data, cache and the apps log.
- Click ok and firmware will begin preparing for flashing. This may take a while.
- When firmware is loaded, you will get a prompt to attach the phone to PC.
- Turn off phone and press volume down button. Keep the volume down pressed and plug in the data cable to connect the phone and the PC.
- The phone should automatically be detected in Flashmode and firmware will start flashing. NOTE: Keep the volume down button pressed.
- When you see Flashing ended or Flashing finished, let go of volume down.
- Unplug data cable.
- Reboot phone.
Have you updated your Xperia ZL c6503 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean?
Share your experience in the comments box below.