Update An AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH
The Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is a version of their Galaxy S2 that is available from AT&T. There S2 Skyrocket initially ran on Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread and was eventually updated to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. The Jelly Bean update was the last update the S2 Skyrocket received.
If you have a S2 Skyrocket and you want to upgrade it to Android Lollipop, you are going to need to install a custom ROM and we’ve found a good one for you. This custom ROM is called Paranoid Android and is based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. Follow along with our guide below to get this ROM and Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on an AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH I727.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is only for the AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH I727. Check your devices model number by going to Settings > About Device.
- Before updating it, your device needs to already be running Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.
- Charge to at least 50 percent battery
- Back up the following:
- Call logs
- SMS messages
- Media – copy files manually to a PC/laptop
- You need the latest custom recovery running on your phone. We recommend TWRP 126.96.36.199. Install or update your custom recovery to this version. Afterwards, make a Backup Nandroid for your device.
- Back up your EFS partition.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Micro or Nano GApps for Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
- Latest SuperSu.zip file
- Copy the files you just downloaded onto your SD card.
- Boot your device into TWRP recovery by first turning it off completely then turning it back on by pressing and holding down the volume up, home and power buttons.
- From TWRP recovery, tap Wipe option. Perform a factory reset.
- Go back to TWRP recovery’s main menu. Tap the Install button.
- Find and then select the ROM zip file. Follow the on-screen flashing instructions.
- When you have flashed the rom, repeat steps 4 and 5 but with SuperSu.zip file.
- When SuperSu has been flashed, repeat steps 4 and 5 but with GApps.
- When all three have been flashed, go to Wipe options and choose to wipe the cache and dalvik cache.
- Reboot the device. This first boot could take up to 10 or 15 minutes so just wait.
Have you updated your S2 Skyrocket to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop?
Share your experience in the comments box below.