Android 5.1.1 Lollipop The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony has released an update to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based on build number 23.4.A.0.546 for their flagship devices – including the Xperia Z3 Compact. In this post, we’re going to focus on how you can update an Xperia Z3 Compact.
The update is rolling out via OTA and Sony PC but, as is usually the case with Sony, it is reaching different regions around the world at different times. If the update has yet to reach your region and you just can’t wait, you can flash it manually using our guide below.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is for a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact D5803 or D5833. Using it with any other devices could brick the device. Check device model number by going to Settings>About Device.
- Charge the device to at least over 60 percent to prevent running out of power before flashing ends.
- Back up the following:
- Call logs
- SMS messages
- Media – copy files manually to a PC/laptop
- Enable USB debugging mode by going to Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging. If you don’t see Developer Options, that means it is not yet activated. To activate go to Settings>About Device and find Build Number. Tap the build number seven times to activate Developer Options. Go back to Settings and Developer Options should now be available.
- Install and setup Sony Flashtool. Open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe. Install the following drivers:
- Xperia Z3 Compact
- Have an original OEM data cable to connect device to a PC or laptop.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Latest firmware Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 23.4.A.0.546FTF file for your device
- Copy and paste the downloaded file to Flashtool>Firmware folder
- Open Flashtool.exe
- Find the small lightening button on the top left corner of Flashtool. Hit the button and then select Flashmode.
- Select the file from step 1.
- Starting from the right side, choose what you want to wipe. We recommend that you wipe Data, cache and apps log.
- Click OK to start the firmware preparing for flashing.
- When the firmware is loaded, you will be prompted to attach your device to the PC. To do so, turn your device off then, keeping the volume down button pressed, plug in the data cable.
- When your phone is detected in Flashmode, the firmware should begin flashing. Keep the volume down button pressed until flashing finishes.
- When flashing is finished, you should see “Flashing ended or Finished flashing”. Let go of the volume down button and then unplug the device from the PC and reboot.
Have you installed latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on your Xperia Z3 Compact?
Share your experience in the comments box below.