The Ultimate Guide To The Galaxy Note 3
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was introduced to the world during an IFA event in Berlin on September 4, 2013. This device has a 5.7 inches full HD display with 386 ppi. It packs a 1.9 GHz Exynos 5 Octa Core CPU or a Snapdragon 800 Quad Core CPU. Here is the ultimate guide to the Galaxy Note 3
The Galaxy Note 3 ran on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean out of the box and it is set to receive the update to Andorid 4.4 KitKat by Q1, 2014.
In the following post, we have compiled a guide to the features of the Galaxy Note 3. We have also included guides to:
- Installing custom recovery on a Galaxy Note 3
- Backing up and restoring your current ROM
- Rooting your Galaxy Note 3
- Uprooting your Galaxy Note 3
- Flashing custom ROMs and mods on a Galaxy Note 3
- Installing Stock/Official firmware on your Galaxy Note 3.
Galaxy Note 3 features:
Enable this feature by going to Settings>Controls>Air Command. After that, you activate this feature by taking out your S Pen. Air Command offers the following:
- Pen Window
- S Finder
- Screen Write
- Scrap Booker
- Action Memo
- Quick Glance
- Air Jump
- Air Browse
- Air Call-Accept
- Information Preview
- Progress Preview
- Speed Dial Preview
- Icon Labels
- List Scrolling
- Smart Stay
- Smart Rotation
- Smart Pause
- Smart Scroll
One Handed Mode
Control your whole screen one-handedly. You can enable it for the full screen or just for different features by going to Settings>Control>One Handed Operaion
Let’s you control your device while driving. Enable it by going to Settings>Control>Hands-free mode
Use Galaxy Note 3 wearing gloves
You can increase touch sensitivity to use this phone while wearing gloves. Go to Settings>Control tab
Go to Settings>Control>Voice Control and control your device by speaking to it.
S-Voice works with Screen-off
Previous versions of the S-Voice app required the scree to be touched to activate. The version of the Galaxy Note 3 just needs to be prompted by your voice saying “Hi Galaxy”. Enable this by opening the S-Voice app, tapping the menu key and choosing the Screen Wake Up Option. Check this option and say “Hi Galaxy” to activate.
All Settings toggle with 2-fingers pull on the notification bar.
Use Flash as a Call Alert
A search option in settings
Galaxy Note 3 Camera
- Dual shot
- Burst mode
- Best Phote
- Best Face
- HDR mode
- Slow and Fast motion
- Drama shot
This is a new security system that allows a user to creat a new profile which is different from the main users. You can install Knox mode compatible apps and Samsung have even added an Knox store for users to find those apps. A Knox profile needs a password to be accessed.
Samsung also implemented Knox Warranty Void on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. After flashing a custom recovery or getting root access you will void the Knox Warranty and won’t be able to avail of free repair services from your device warranty.
Rooting also cause some problems with Knox and you may find some apps won’t work properly anymore. Only way to get past this is to disable Knox completely. Use the freeze option in the titanium backup.
Install custom recovery on the Galaxy Note 3
- Charge device to at least over 60 percent.
- Have an original data cable to connect your OC and device.
- Backup contacts, text messages, call logs and important media content.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Odin3 v3.10.
- Samsung USB drivers
- The appropriate CWM Recovery .tar.md5 file for your device model
- Download CWM Recovery for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900.
- Download CWM Recovery for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900S.
- Download CWM Recovery for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900T.
- Download CWM Recovery for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900W8.
- Download CWM Recovery for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9002
- Download CWM Recovery for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005.
- Super Su zip v1.69– Get it Here.
- Turn off the reactivation lock of your Galaxy Note 3. You can find it in Settings>General>Security>Uncheck Reactivation Lock.
- Put your phone in download mode by turning it off and taking out the battery. Wait 30 seconds before putting the battery back in and turning the device on by pressing and holding volume down, home and power, when you see a warning, press volume up.
- Open Odin.
- Connect the Galaxy Note 3 and your phone with an original data cable. You should see the ID:COM box in Odin turn blue.
- Hit PDA tab and select the downloaded CWM recovery file. It should be a .tar file.
- Make sure your Odin’s options match the ones show below
- Hit start and CWM recovery will begin installing. When if finishes, the device should restart.
- Boot into recovery by pressing and holding the volume up, home and power buttons.
Backup your current ROM
After installing custom recovery, you can use it to back up your current system/ROM. To do so, take the following steps:
- Boot into recovery mode.
- Select the backup option.
- Choose to either back up to the external or internal SD card
- Confirm backup process.
You can use the back up to restore the operating system if something goes wrong with your device. To do so, take the following steps:
- Boot into recovery mode.
- Select backup and restore
- Select Restore form External or Internal SD card, depending on where your back up is located.
Root Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- Download SuperSu.zip to the external SD card of your device.
- Boot into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode you use the volume up and down keys to move between options. Make a selection by pressing the home or power button.
- Select Install Zip>Choose Zip. Select the SuperSu.zip file.
- Flash the file. When it ends, restart device.
Unroot Galaxy Note 3
Just flash a stock firmware and wipe data. The following guide will show you how.
Install a Stock/Official Firmware on Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- Depending on the model number of your Samsung Galaxy Note 3, download the latest firmware:
- Firmwares for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900
- Firmwares for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005
- Firmwares for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900W8
- Firmwares for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900S
- Firmwares for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900T
- Firmwares for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900P
- Firmwares for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900Q
- Firmwares for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9009
- Firmwares for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9002
- Firmwares for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9008
- Firmwares for Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9006
- Extract downloaded file to desktop. It will be in .tar.md5 format.
- Open Odin, select the PDA tab. Select extracted .tar.md5 file.
- Put device in download mode.
- Connect device and the PC. When Odin detects it, the ID:COM box will turn blue or yellow.
- Make sure the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are selected in Odin.
- Hit start
- When flashing ends, device will restart.
- Go into recovery mode and reset factory data and cache.
- Restart phone.
Have you done any of these on your Galaxy Note 3?
Share your experience in the comments box below.