Update The Sony Xperia ZL C6503
Sony has introduced the Sony Xperia ZL, a sibling of their flagship the Xperia Z. The Xperia ZL runs Android 4.1.2 out of the box. It has since been officially updated to Android 4.2.2 and Sony has announced plans to update it further to Android 4.3 and Android 4.4 Kitkat.
Sony officially released the update to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean for the Sony Xperia ZL a few days ago and the update is reaching users via OTA in the different regions. If the update hasn’t reached your region yet and you just can’t wait, you can also get it manually.
In this guide, we explain how you can upgrade your Sony Xperia ZL to firmware 10.4.B.0.569 manually using the Sony Flashtool.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide only works with the Sony Xperia Z C6503. Check that this is your device by going to Settings>About Device> Model.
- Make sure your device is currently running on either Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean or Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
- Make sure you’ve installed Sony Flashtool.
- Use Sony Flashtool to install drivers:
- Flashtool > Drivers > Flashtool-drivers > Flashtool, Xperia ZL, Fastboot
- Make sure your phone’s battery has at least over 60 percent of its charge.
- You have backed up important media content as well as your contacts, call logs, and text messages.
- You have enabled USB debugging mode. Do so by either of these two options:
- Settings> Developer Options> USB debugging
- Settings> About Device> Build Number. Tap build number 7 times.
- You have an OEM data cable that can connect the phone to a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, ROMs and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 10.4.B.0.569 on Xperia ZL C6503:
- Download latest firmware Android 4.3 Jelly Bean 10.4.B.0.569 FTF file using a torrent client.
- Copy the downloaded file and paste into Flashtool>Firmwares
- Hit the small lightening button found on the top left corner and then select
- Select FTF firmware file that was placed in the Firmware folder.
- From right side, select what you want to wipe. Data, cache and apps log, all wipes are recommended.
- Click OK, and firmware will be prepared for flashing. This could take a while to load.
- When the firmware is loaded, you will be prompted to attach phone by turning it off and keeping the back key pressed
- For Xperia ZL, Volume Down key will do the job of back key, turn off the phone, keep the Volume Down key pressed and plug in the data cable.
- When the phone is detected in Flash mode, the firmware will start flashing, keep the Volume Down key pressed until the process is complete.
- When you see“Flashing ended or Finished Flashing”leave the Volume Down key, plug the cable out and reboot.
So, you’ve now installed latest Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on your Xperia ZL C6503.
Share your experience in the comments box below.