Rooting Nexus 5 on Android 4.4 Kit Kat
Nexus 5 arrives with the new Android 4.4 KitKat. But to be able to maximize its use, you have to gain full control of the device by rooting it. The device might not have been on the market for too long yet but developers have already succeeded in creating a method on rooting Nexus 5 and install ClockWordMod Recovery or CWM.
This article is a tutorial on how to rooting Nexus 5running on Android 4.4 KitKat and install the CWM Recovery. But first things first, run a backup of all data stored in the device’s storage including messages, contacts and call logs. This will ensure that you can restore the data in case something happens.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, ROMs and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
You will need to download the following:
SuperSU v1.65 (Update-SuperSU-v1.65.zip) here
Rooting Nexus 5 USB Drivers
ClockworkMod Recovery here
- The device should be running on Android 4.4 KitKat.
- Battery level should be at 85% and above.
- Enable USB debugging.
- This tutorial is applicable only to the Nexus 5 device.
Rooting Nexus 5 Android 4.4 KitKat and Install CWM Recovery
Check whether you already have Android SDK and USB Drivers Package in the PC.
- Get the SuperSU but do not extract it yet.
- Connect the Nexus 5 to the computer. Only original USB cable should be used.
- Copy the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip and paste to the root of the SD card.
- Switch off the device.
- Download and paste CWM 188.8.131.52.img to Fastboot folder.
- Switch on to Bootloader/Fastboot mode by holding down the power and volume down keys until a text is displayed on the screen.
- Go to the Fastboot folder and open the Command Prompt by holding down the shift key and right-clicking in the folder. Open command window afterward.
- Type this command: fast boot flash recovery hammerhead-cwm-184.108.40.206-unofficial.img
- As soon as it is completed, select Recovery from the menu in the Fastboot.
- Select “flash zip from sd card” and “choose zip from SD card” in the CWM Recovery.
- Select and install UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65 zip.
- After finishing mentioned above, go to “+++++Go Back and reboot system now.
Have you Rooted Nexus 5 device ?
Let us know some questions or comments by leaving writing in the space below.