Root A Xperia Z/ZL Running 10.5.A.0.230 Firmware
Sony rolled out a update for the Xperia Z and ZL/ZQ which allows the devices to run on Android 4.4.2 KitKat based on build number 10.5.A.0.230. If you’ve updated your device to this latest firmware, you’ve probably found that you’ve lost root access on your device.
If you’re looking to re-root your device, you are going to need to unlock the bootloader of your device. However, unlocking the bootloader will cause you to lose your device’s warranty.
If you want to root your device without unlocking your bootloader, we recommend you use a Towelroot exploit from Geohot. Geohot’s tool is a small apk file that can be installed onto a device and can root it in one tap. The tool can be used with a number of Xperia devices.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how you can root your Sony Xperia Z and ZL (all variants) that run Android 4.4.2 KitKat 10.5.A.0.230 firmware without unlocking the bootloader using Towelroot.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is for the for Sony Xperia Z C6602, C6603, C6616 and Sony Xperia ZL C6502, C6503, C6506. The device also needs to be running Android 4.4.2 KitKat 10.5.A.0.230 firmware.
- Have your battery charged to at least over 60 percent.
- Enable USB debugging mode. You can do so by one of these two methods:
- Settings>Developer options>USB debugging.
- Settings>About device>Build number. Tap Build Number 7 times.
- Have an OEM data cable that you can use to connect the phone to a PC.
- Allow “Unknown Sources”. To do so, got to your phones settings, Security>Unknown Sources
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Root Sony Xperia Z/ZL/ZQ LockedBootloader:
- Download Towelroot apk.
- Connect the Xperia Z/ZL to the PC.
- Copy APK file you downloaded in step 1 to your device.
- Disconnect device and find the APK file on it.
- Tap APK file, installation should now begin.
- If prompted, celect “Package Installer”.
- Proceed with the installation and wait for it to complete.
- Go to the app drawer and find Towelroot. Open the Towelroot application from the app drawer.
- Tap button “make it ra1n” .
- Download SuperSu.zip file.
- Unzip file, and get Superuser.apk. The APK file should be found in the common folder in the unzipped folder.
- Copy APK to the Xperia Z/ZL, and install it using steps 2 – 7.
- When the APK file is installed, update the Superuser or SuperSu with theGoogle Play Store.
- On your phone, go to the Google Play Store.
- In the Google Play Store, look for Busybox installer
- Run Busybox installer to get Busybox on your phone
Check that your phone is properly rooted:
- Go to the Google Play Store.
- In the Google Play Store, look for Root Checker.
- Install Root Checker
- Open Root Checker
- Tap Verify Root
- You will be asked for SuperSu rights, tap Grant
- You should now see Root Access Verified Now!
Have you rooted your Xperia Z / ZL?
Share your experiences in the comments box below.