Root An Xperia Z/ZL
The latest update that Sony has rolled out for the Xperia Z and ZL/ZQ is to Android 4.4.2 KitKat based on build number 10.5.A.0.230. If you’ve updated your device, you’ve probably noticed that you’ve lost root access.
There are several ways to root an Xperia device, but a lot of them require you to unlock your bootloader which causes you to lose your warranty. If you want to root your Xperia Z or ZL/ZQ but don’t want to unlock your bootloader, we have a solution for you.
Developer Geohot has come up with the Towelroot app that can root a number of Android devices. Towelroot requires you to install a small apk file that can root your device in one tap, without unlocking your bootloader.
In this guide, we’re going to show you how you can root a Sony Xperia Z/ZL (all variants) that runs on Android 4.4.2 KitKat 10.5.A.0.230 without unlocking the bootloader by using Towelroot.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is for use with the Sony Xperia Z C6602, C6603, C6616 and Sony Xperia ZL C6502, C6503, C650 running on the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware based on the build number 10.5.A.0.230.
- Have your battery charged to at least over 60 percent.
- Enable USB debugging mode by one of these two methods:
- Settings>Developer options>USB debugging.
- Settings>About device>Build number. Tap Build Number 7 times.
- Have an OEM data cable that you can use to connect the phone to a PC.
- Allow “Unknown Sources”. To do so, got to your phones settings, Security>Unknown Sources
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Root Sony Xperia Z/ZL/ZQ Locked Bootloader:
- Download the Towelroot apk.
- Connect your device to your PC using the OEM data cable
- Copy the APK file you downloaded in step 1 to your device.
- Disconnect your device and find the APK file on it.
- Tap on the APK file to begin installation.
- If prompted, select “Package Installer”.
- Proceed with the installation.
- When the installation is through, go to your devices’ app drawer and find Towelroot. Open Towelroot application from the app drawer.
- Tap button “make it ra1n” .
- Download SuperSu.zip file.
- Unzip file, and get Superuser.apk. This APK file should be found in the common folder in the unzipped folder.
- Copy APK to your device, and install it using steps 2 – 7.
- When the APK file is installed, update the Superuser or SuperSu with theGoogle Play Store.
- On your device, go to the Google Play Store.
- In the Google Play Store, look for Busybox installer
- Run Busybox installer to get Busybox on your phone
Check that your phone is properly rooted:
- Go to the Google Play Store.
- In the Google Play Store, look for Root Checker.
- Install Root Checker
- Open Root Checker
- Tap Verify Root
- You will be asked for SuperSu rights, tap Grant
- You should now see Root Access Verified Now!
Have you rooted your Xperia Z/ZL/ZQ?
Share you experiences in the comments box below.