The Xperia Z2 D6503 Running 23.1.A.0.740 5.0.2 Lollipop
The initial update to Lollipop caused some issues such as battery drain and faulty headphones connectivity, so Sony has released a new update for the Xperia Z2 D6503 that should patch and fix these problems.
The new update has build number 23.1.A.0.740 and it easy to install either with OTA or by flashing it manually. It is recommended that you do so. If you do so, however, you will find that you have lost root access. In this post, we’re going to show you how to get root access on an Xperia Z2 D503 after updating it to 23.1.A.0.740 firmware.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide is only for use with the Sony Xperia Z2 D6503. Using it with another device could result in a bricked device. Go to Settings>About device to check your device’s model number
- Charge phone so more than 60 percent of its battery life. This is to prevent it from running out of power before process completes.
- Back up the following:
- SMS messages
- Call logs
- Media – copy files manually to a PC/laptop
- Enable USB debugging mode by going to Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging. If you don’t see Developer Options, activate it by going to About Device and looking for Build Number. Tap build number seven times then go back to Settings.
- Install and setup Sony Flashtool. Open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe. Install the following drivers:
- Xperia Z2
If you don’t see Flashtool drivers in Flashmode, skip this step and instead install Sony PC Companion
- Have an OEM data cable to connect your phone and a PC or laptop.
- Unlock phone’s bootloader
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Root Xperia Z2 D6503 23.1.A.0.740 Firmware
- Downgrade to .167 Firmware and Root
- If you already updated the phone to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, you will first have to downgrade to KitKat OS and Root it.
- When phone is rooted, enable USB debugging.
- Install .167 firmware.
- Install XZ Dual Recovery..
- Download latest installer for Xperia Z2 here. (Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Use the OEM data cable to connect phone to PC and run install.bat.
- Custom recovery will install.
- Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .740 FTF
- Download and install PRF Creator
- Download SuperSU zip and place it anywhere on your PC.
- Download .740 FTF and place it anywhere on your PC.
- Download Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Run PRFC and add all three files in it.
- Click on Create.
- When the Flashable ROM is created, you will see a successful message.
- Copy pre-rooted firmware to phone’s internal storage.
- Root and Install Recovery on Z2 D6503 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware
- Turn off phone.
- Turn it on and press volume up or down repeatedly to enter custom recovery.
- Click install and find the folder where you placed the flashable zip
- Tap on and install it.
- Reboot phone.
- If phone is still connected to PC via USB cable, disconnect.
- Now go back to.740 ftf and copy it to /flashtool/fimrwares
- Open flashtool and click lightning icon on the top left.
- Click on flashmode.
- Select.740 firmware.
- In right bar, in exclude options, exclude System. Leave other options as is.
- While flashtool prepares software for flashing, turn off phone.
- Keep volume down button pressed and connect phone to PC with USB cable.
- Phone will enter flashmode.
- Flashtool will automatically detect phone and start flashing.
- After flashing phone will reboot
Does your phone now have dual custom recovery, root access and latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware?
Share your experience in the comments box below.