Root A Sony Xperia ZR
Sony has begun releasing an update to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop for their Xperia ZR. This update has build number 10.6.A.0.454.
If you have updated your Xperia ZR to Android Lollipop and you are an Android power users, you are now probably looking for a way to gain or re-gain root access on your device. In this post, we’re going to guide you on how you can root the C5502 and C5503 variants of the Xperia Z2.
Follow along with our guide below.
Prepare your phone:
- First, make sure that you have the appropriate device. This guide works for Sony Xperia ZR C5502/C5503 that is running Android 5.0.2 10.6.A.0.454 firmware.
- Check your model number by going to Settings > About device
- Update your device to the latest firmware if you haven’t already.
- Charge the phone so that it has at least more than 60 percent battery life. This is to prevent if from running out of power before the process completes.
- Back up the following:
- Call logs
- SMS messages
- Media – copy files manually to a PC/laptop
- Enable your phone’s USB debugging mode. First, go to Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging. If Developer Options is not available, go to About Device and look for your Build Number. Tap the build number seven times then go back to Settings. Developer options should now be activated.
- Install and setup Sony Flashtool. Open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe. Install the following drivers:
- Xperia ZR
If you don’t see Flashtool drivers in Flashmode, skip this step and instead, install Sony PC Companion
- Have an original OEM data cable to make the connection between the phone and a PC or laptop.
- Unlock your phone’s bootloader
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Rooting Xperia ZR C5502, C5503 10.6.A.0.454 Firmware
- Downgrade to .283 firmware and root
- If your smartphone has already been updated to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, you need to downgrade your device to KitKat OS and Root it.
- Install XZ Dual Recovery
- Download latest installer from here. (ZR-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Connect phone to PC with the OEM date cable and run install.bat.
- Custom recovery will install.
- Make Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .454 FTF
- Download and install PRF Creator
- Download SuperSU zip. Place it anywhere on your PC.
- Download .454 FTF . Place it anywhere on your PC. NOTE: Make sure the file you download is for your phone model.
- Download ZR-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Run PRFC and add the other three files in it.
- Click Create.
- When the Flashable ROM is created, you will see a successful message.
- Leave all other options as is and copy pre-rooted firmware to phone’s internal storage.
- Root and Install Recovery on ZR C5503, C5502 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware
- Turn off phone.
- Turn it on and press volume up or down repeatedly to go to custom recovery.
- Click install and find the folder you placed the flashable zip.
- Tap on flashable zip to install it.
- Reboot phone.
- If the phone is still connected to PC, disconnect it.
- Return to to the .454 ftf downloaded in second step and copy it to /flashtool/firmwares
- Open flashtool and click on lightning icon found on the top left.
- Click on flashmode.
- Select.454 firmware.
- In right bar, you will find the exclude options, exclude System only and leave the other options as it is.
- Turn off your phone.
- Keeping the volume down button pressed, connect phone to PC via USB cable.
- The phone will enter flashmode and Flashtool should automatically detect it and start flashing. When flashing is done, the phone will reboot.
Have you rooted your device?
Share your experience in the comments box below.