The Sprint Galaxy S6 G920P
Samsung released a variant of their Galaxy S6 for Sprint. This variant has the model number SM-G920P and is locked to the carrier but otherwise has the specs of a standard Galaxy S6.
Unlike other carriers such as AT&T and Verizon, Sprint doesn’t put restrictions on their device’s bootloaders. This means that users of the Sprint variant can install custom stuff and gain root access.
In this post, were going to tell you about a working custom recovery and rooting method that we’ve found for the Sprint Galaxy S6 SM-G920P. Follow along with our guide below.
Prepare your phone:
- This guide should only be used with a Sprint Galaxy S6 SM-G920P. Using it with another device could brick the device. Check you model number by going to Settings>General/More> About Device.
- Charge battery to at least over 50 percent to make sure that you don’t run out of power before installation finishes.
- Enable USB debugging mode by going to Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging. If Developer Options is not there, go to About Device and look for Build Number. Tap build number seven times then go back to Settings. Developer options will be activated.
- Back up all important SMS messages, call logs and contacts as well as important media content.
- Have an original data cable you can use to connect your phone and a PC.
- Disable Samsung Kies on your phone and Windows Firewall and any Anti-virus programs on your PC. You can turn them on when installation is over.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Samsung USB drivers (on PC)
- Odin3 v3.10. (install on)
- twrp-220.127.116.11-zerofltespr.img.tar (make sure it’s for G920P)
Install TWRP Recovery & Root Your Sprint Galaxy S6 G920P
- Copy the SuperSu.zip file that your downloaded to the internal storage of your phone.
- Open Odin 3 on your PC.
- Put your phone into download mode by first turning it off then turning it back on by pressing and holding down the volume down, home and power buttons. When the phone boots up, press volume up.
- Connect the phone and your PC. If you made the connection properly, you should see the ID:COM box on your Odin turn blue.
- Click the AP tab on Odin. Select twrp-18.104.22.168-zerofltespr.img.tar file. Wait for Odin to load the file.
- If you see that the Auto-reboot option is ticked, make sure to untick it. Otherwise all options should remain as is.
- Click the start button on Odin 3 and flashing will begin.
- When you see the process box above the ID:COM in Odin become green, flashing is through. Disconnect the phone.
- Turn your phone off.
- Turn it back on by by pressing and holding down the volume up, home and power buttons. This should bring you into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, select Install>locate SuperSu.zip>Flash.
- When flashing is through, reboot your device.
- Go to your app drawer and check if SuperSu is there.
- Verify root access with Root Checker.
You now have a Sprint Galaxy S6 that is rooted and has TWRP Recovery.
Share you experience in the comments box below.