Root And Install TWRP Recovery
TWRP can now officially support the Nvidia Shield Tablet. You will be able to install TWRP 2.8.x.x recovery on a Nvidia Shield Tablet and root it as well by following our guide below.
By installing a custom recovery on your Nvidia Shield Tablet you will be able to flash custom ROMs and add new features to your tablet by applying MODs and custom tweaks. It will also allow you to create a backup Nandroid as well wipe the cache and dalvik cache.
By gaining root access, you will be able to install root-specific apps such as Root Explorer, System Tuner and Greenify on your Nvidia Shield Tablet. You will also be able to access the root directory of your tablet and enhance its performance and battery life.
If these sound appealing to you, follow our guide below to gain custom recovery and root access on your Nvidia Shield Tablet.
Prepare your device:
- This guide is only for the Nvidia Shield Tablet. Don’t try it with another device as it will result in bricking.
- Charge the tablet to up to 50 percent to prevent it from losing power before the process finishes.
- Back up your important contacts, sms messages, call logs and media content.
- Turn off your firewall first.
- Have an original data cable that you can use to make the connection with your tablet and the computer.
- Download and set up Minimal ADB and Fastboot drivers if you are using a PC. If you are using a Mac, install ADB and Fastboot drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode in your device. Go to Settings>About Device> Tap build number 7 times, this will enable your developer options. Open developer options and enable USB debugging mode.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Unlock Nvidia Shield Tablet Bootloader
- Connect tablet to the PC.
- On your desktop,open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe. If this file is not on your desktop, go to your Windows installation drive i.e. C drive > Program Files > Minimal ADB & Fastboot > Open py_cmd.exe file. This will the command window.
- Enter the following commands on the command window. Do so one by one and press enter after each command
- adb reboot-bootloader – to reboot the device in bootloader.
- fastboot devices – to verify your device is connected to the PC in fastboot mode.
- fastboot oem unlock – to unlock the devices bootloader. After pressing the enter key you should get a message asking for confirmation of bootloader unlocking. Using the volume up and down keys, go through the options to confirm the unlocking.
- fastboot reboot – this command will reboot the tablet. When the reboot is through, disconnect the tablet.
Flash TWRP Recovery
- Download twrp-184.108.40.206-shieldtablet.img file.
- Rename the downloaded file “recovery.img”.
- Copy the recovery.img file to the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder which are located in the program files of your windows installation drive.
- Boot the Nvidia Shield Tablet into fastboot mode.
- Connect the tablet to your PC.
- Open Minimal ADB & Fastboot.exe or Py_cmd.exe to get the command window again.
- Enter the following commands:
- fastboot devices
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- fastboot reboot
Root Nvidia Shield Tablet
- DownloadSuperSu v2.52.zip and copy it to the tablet’s SD card.
- Boot the tablet into TWRP recovery on your tablet. You can also do so by issuing the following command on the ADB window:adb reboot recovery
- From TWRPrecovery mode, tapInstall > Scroll all the way down > Select SuperSu.zip file > Confirm flashing.
- When flashing finishes, reboot tablet.
- Check that you have SuperSu in the tablet’s app drawer. You can also verify that you have root access by getting the Root Checker app on the Google Play Store.
Have you installed TWRP Recovery and Rooted your Nvidia Shield Tablet?
Share your experience in the comments box below.