The Huawei’s Ascend G620S And Honor $X
Last year, Huawei released their Ascend G620S, also known as the Honor 4 Play, and the Honor 4X. These devices are similar, with the Ascent G620S considered the lower-end version of the Honor 4X. These devices originally ran on Android 4.4.2 but have been updated to Android Lollipop and Huawei has also announced plans to update them to Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
There are a lot of custom ROMS and MODS that can be used in these two devices, but if you plan to use them, you need to first install a custom recovery and root the device.
In this post, we are going to show you first how to flash TWRP recovery on Huawei’s Honor 4X and Ascend G620S. Next, we’re going to show you how to gain root access. Follow along.
Prepare your device:
- This guide can only be used with variants of the Huawei Honor 4X and Ascend G620S. Don’t use this with any other device or you could brick it
- Charge device so it has up to 80 percent power. This is to prevent it from running out of power before process is finished.
- Have an original data cable to use to connect your device to a PC.
- Make a backup of any important data that you have on your device. This includes you contacts, text messages, call logs and media content.
- Unlock the bootloader of your device.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- ADB & Fastboot packege with TWRP recovery.img Extract onto your desktop.
- zip. Copy to phone’s internal storage.
- Connect your device to a PC. If your phone asks for permissions, check allow and tap ok.
- Open the extracted ADB and Fastboot folder.
- Click py_cmd.exe. You should now get a command prompt.
- Enter this command to get a list of connected ADB device and verify that your device is connected properly:
- Enter this command to reboot your device into bootloader mode:
- Enter this command to flash the TWRP recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- After flashing is finished, select the recovery from Fastboot mode on the phone. If you see the TWRP logo on your screen you have successfully flashed it.
- Tap on Reboot> System to reboot your device.
- Boot your phone into TWRP recovery mode by first turning it off then turning it back on by pressing and holding the volume down and power buttons.
- Go to Install and locate the SuperSu.zip file. Swipe on the bar at the screen bottom to flash.
- Return to the TWRP main menu.
- Tap on Reboot>System
- Check that SuperSu is in your app drawer. You can also use the Root Checker app from the Google Play Store to verify that you have root access.
Have you rooted and installed a custom recovery on your Huawei device?
Share your experience in the comments box below.