Root And Install CWM/TWRP On A Xperia ZL
The Xperia ZL is the non-glass version of Sony’s Xperia Z. Aside from the build material the specifications of these two phones is the same. There are two main variants of the Xperia ZL, the C6502 and C6503.
There is now an update for the Xperia ZL to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. This update carries the build number 10.6.A.0.454.
If you have updated your Xperia ZL, you might have noticed that if you had root access it is now gone. In this guide, we are going to show you how you can get root access and install CWM and TWRP Dual Recovery on the Xperia XL. Follow along.
Prepare your phone:
- First, make sure that you have the right device. This guide works for Sony Xperia ZL C6502/C6503. Check your model number by going to Settings > About device
- Charge the phone so that it around 60 percent battery life to prevent it from running out of power before the process completes.
- Back up the following:
- Call logs
- SMS messages
- Media – copy files manually to a PC/laptop
- Enable phone’s USB debugging mode. Go to Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging. If Developer Options is not available, you need to access it. To do so, go to About Device and look for your Build Number. Tap the build number seven times then go back to Settings. Developer options should now be activated.
- Install and setup Sony Flashtool. Open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe. Install the following drivers:
- Xperia ZL
If you don’t see Flashtool drivers in Flashmode, skip this step and instead, install Sony PC Companion
- Have an original OEM data cable to make the connection between the phone and a PC or laptop.
- Unlock your phone’s bootloader
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Rooting Xperia ZR C5502, C5503 10.6.A.0.454 Firmware
- Downgrade to .283 firmware and root
- If your smartphone has already updated to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, downgrade it to KitKat OS and Root it.
- Install XZ Dual Recovery
- Download the latest installer from here. (ZL-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Connect phone to PC with OEM date cable and run install.bat.
- Custom recovery will be installed.
- Make Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .454 FTF
- Download and install PRF Creator
- Download SuperSU zip. Place it anywhere on your PC.
- Download .454 FTF. Place it anywhere on your PC. NOTE: Make sure the file you download is for your phone model.
- Download ZL-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Run PRFC and add the other three downloaded files in it.
- Click Create.
- When Flashable ROM is created, you will see a successful message.
- Leave all other options as is and copy pre-rooted firmware to phone’s internal storage.
- Root and Install Recovery on ZL C6503, C6502 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware
- Turn off the phone.
- Turn it back on and then press volume up or down repeatedly to go to custom recovery.
- Click install and find the folder you placed the flashable zip.
- Tap on flashable zip to install it.
- Reboot phone.
- If the phone is connected to PC, disconnect it.
- Return to the .454 ftf and copy it to /flashtool/firmwares
- Open flashtool and click on lightning icon found on the top left.
- Click on flashmode.
- Select.454 firmware.
- In the right bar, you will find the exclude options. Choose to exclude System only and leave the other options as it is.
- Turn off your phone.
- Keeping the volume down button pressed, connect phone to PC via USB cable.
- The phone will enter flashmode and Flashtool should automatically detect it and start flashing. When flashing is done, the phone will reboot.
Have you rooted and installed a custom recovery on your device?
Share your experience in the comments box below.