Sony Xperia Z3
The Sony Xperia Z line of phones is recognized as a set of great devices, but the Xperia Z3 particularly stands out because of its one-of-a-kind design and amazing features. These are:
- 5-inch display
- Snapdragon 801 CPU
- Adreno 330 GPU
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat, with update to Android Lollipop
- 2 GB RAM
- 3,100 mAh battery
- 7 mp rear camera and 2.2 mp front camera
The Sony Xperia Z3 is open to a lot of exciting possibilities, so customizing it would be a big advantage. Providing root access for your Xperia Z3 would let you install awesome applications and do tweaks and mods. However, this can easily be done when you have an unlocked bootloader, so those with a locked bootloader may have a more difficult time accomplishing this. Thankfully, developers have found a way to get past this and created a root tool called giefroot, which will let you root your device in under a minute even with a locked bootloader.
This article will help you to root your Sony Xperia Z3 D6603 / D6653 with 184.108.40.206.293 firmware and a locked bootloader. Before proceeding, read the following notes and requirements to successfully accomplish the root process:
- This step by step guide will only work Xperia Z3 D6603 / D6653 running on the 220.127.116.11.293 firmware. If you are not sure about your device model, you may check it by going to your Settings menu and clicking ‘About Phone’. Using this guide for another device model may cause bricking, so if you are not a Xperia Z3 D6603 / D6653 user, do not proceed.
- Use only your phone’s OEM data cable so that that the connection is stable. Also, disconnect other USB devices to avoid encountering connection problems
- Disable any active antivirus software as well as your firewall settings
- Allow USB debugging on your Xperia Z3 by going to your Settings menu, clicking ‘About Device’, and clicking the build number seven times to enable Developer Options. Click Developer Options and allow USB debugging
- In Developer Options, also allow Mockup Locations
- Install Android ADB and Fastboot drivers
Step by step guide to provide root access to Sony Xperia Z3 D6603/D6653 with a locked bootloader:
- Download the giefroot tool. An alternative source can be found here
- Extract the folder
- Put your device on Flight Mode / Airplane Mode
- Using your OEM data cable, connect your Xperia Z3 to your computer or laptop
- Open the extracted folder and allow Install.bat to run
- Just do the instructions displayed on your screen
- Remove your OEM data cable once the process has been completed
That’s it! You can look for SuperSu in your app drawer and enjoy customizing your rooted Xperia Z3.
If you have additional questions about this easy step by step process, do not hesitate to ask through the comments section below.