A Guide To Installing Custom ROMs On A Samsung Galaxy Gear
Samsung showed the Galaxy Gear to the world for the first time in Berlin at the IFA event on September 2013. It was released as an accessory to their Galaxy Note 3. Installing custom ROMs is now available on this device.
Now, the very first custom ROM for the Galaxy Gear is up. According to the developer, these are the features of the ROM:
- Mk7 base
- Completely deodexed
- Novalauncher included
- Homebutton fix / power button locks screen when using custom launchers.
- No wipe base
- Weather widget / removed static “weather” text
- Disabled Samsung signature verification
- Native APK installation
- Increased video recording limit to 60 seconds
- VP enabled
- 2 browser
- Wallpaper support
- Live wallpaper support
- 2 gallery
- Third party contact widget & app crash fix
- Settings / full settings dialog
- MTP support / enabled in storage settings
- Bluetooth tethering
- Multiple bluetooth device pairing
- Native email client
- Contacts sync
- Calendar sync
- Playstore access
- Download manager
- AOSP keyboard
Sound like features you’d want in your Galaxy Gear? Well, let us install and get this ROM running then.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- You need to have root access on your Galaxy Gear.
- You need to have TWRP recovery on your Galaxy Gear.
- Now should use TWRP recovery to create a back up of your current ROM.
- Also you need to charge your Galaxy Gears battery to at least over 60 percent.
- Back up any important data on the SD card.
Flash Custom ROM on your Galaxy Gear:
- Download MK7 based Custom ROM. Place the downloaded file in the SD card of your Galaxy Gear.
- Enter TWRP recovery. Press and hold the power key of your Galaxy Gear till a rebooting screen appears. Press the power key quickly about 5 times to enter recovery mode. Now Press power button to go to recovery mode and highlight it. When recovery mode is highlighted, hold the power button for 3 seconds.
- In TWRP Recovery, select the Install option.
- Find and select the custom ROM ,zip file you downloaded.
- The ROM will flash. When it reboots, you will have installed the custom ROM.
Do you have this custom ROM on your Galaxy Gear?
Share your experience in the comments box below.