Galaxy Nexus Android 4.4 Slim-Kat
A new Android OS, KitKat will be released for the Nexus device soon. But custom ROMs have already been developed and are circulating the web. For now, this ROM is only available for Nexus, other devices will still have to wait for their turn. Galaxy Nexus is an old device but it is one of the devices that will be receiving the official update. However, if you are want to get this update right away, this tutorial is going to help you.
This tutorial will guide you through installing the Android 4.4 Slim-Kat Asphalt KitKat Custom ROM. To start, make sure you have a back up of all your data including your contacts, internal storage, messages and call logs.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
You also need to make sure of the following:
- Your device rooted.
- Enable USB debugging by checking that option in the settings>developer options.
- If the said settings is not available, go back to settings and go to about. Tap on the build number until you become the developer.
- Battery level should be at least 85%.
- This guide only works on Galaxy Nexus
Step by Step Installation of Android 4.4 Slim-Kat Asphalt KitKat Custom Rom
- Get the Android 4.4 SlimKat Alpha ROM here and Google Apps files online but do not extract them.
- Connect your Nexus device to the computer. Use only an original USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded files and paste them to your SD card.
- Disconnect the device.
- Switch off your device.
- Go to its Bootloader/Fastboot mode by holding down the power, volume up and down buttons at the same time until a text is displayed on the screen.
- From there, select Recovery.
- Choose ‘Wipe Cache’ after Recovery.
- Go to ‘advance’ and select ‘Devlik Wipe Cache’. This will prevent you from wandering to any bootloop.
- Choose ‘Wipe Date/Factory Reset’
- Go to ‘install zip from sd card and ‘choose zip from sd card’.
- Choose the Android 4.4 file and install.
- Reboot system now once the process finished.
Note: Go back to steps 10 and 11 and this time choose Gapps instead of Android 4.4. This will install Google Apps.
Your Galaxy Nexus now updated to Android 4.4 Slim-Kat Custom Firmware.
Before running it, wait first for at least 5 minutes.
Share your experience and/or questions in the comment section box