Install TWRP Recovery And Root A Samsung Galaxy S6
In China, Samsung released three different variants of their S6. These carry the model numbers SM- G9200/G9208/G9209. If you have one of these variants and are an Android power user, you will want to modify your own device by applying tweaks or installing root apps. So you’re probably looking for a way to gain root access on your device and install a custom recovery. Luckily for you, we’ve found a good method for you to do both.
In this guide, we are going to show you how to install TWRP recovery and root a Galaxy S6 SM-G9200, G9208 & G9209. Follow along.
Prepare your phone:
- Only use this guide with these Samsung S6 variants: SM-G9200, G9208 & G9209. If you use this with another device you could brick it. Check the device model number by going to Settings>General/More> About Device.
- Charge battery to at least over 50 percent. This is to make sure you don’t run out of power before installation ends.
- Enable USB debugging mode by going to Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging. If Developer Options is not there, go to About Device and look for the Build Number. Tap build number seven times and then go back to Settings. Developer options will be activated.
- Back up all important SMS messages, call logs and contacts as well as important media content.
- Have an original data cable to connect your phone and a PC.
- Disable Samsung Kies, Windows Firewall and any Anti-virus programs first. You can turn them back on when installation is over.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
- Samsung USB drivers (on PC)
- Odin3 v3.10. (install on PC)
- twrp-220.127.116.11-zeroflte.img.tar[ for the variant you have: G9200, G9208, G9209]
Install TWRP Recovery & Root Your Galaxy S6 SM-G9200, G9208 & G9209
- Copy downloaded SuperSu.zip file to phone’s internal storage
- Open Odin 3
- Put phone into download mode by turning it off then turning it back on by pressing and holding the volume down, home and power buttons. When phone boots up, press volume up.
- Connect phone and PC. If connection was made properly, you should see the ID:COM box on Odin turn blue.
- Click AP tab on Odin. Select twrp-18.104.22.168-zerofltespr.img.tar file that you downalded. Wait for Odin to load file.
- If the Auto-reboot option is ticked, untick it. Otherwise all options remain as is.
- Click start button on Odin 3 and flashing will begin.
- When the process box above the ID:COM in Odin turns green, flashing is done. Disconnect phone from PC.
- Turn phone off.
- Turn it back on by pressing and holding the volume up, home and power buttons. This should bring you into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, select Install>locate SuperSu.zip>Flash.
- When flashing is through, reboot phone.
- Go to app drawer and check if SuperSu is there.
- install BusyBox
- Verify root access using Root Checker.
You have now rooted and installed TWRP recovery on your Chinese Galaxy S6.
Share your experience in the comments box below.