Root A Xperia Z1 Compact Android 5.1.1
Sony recently released an update for their Xperia Z1 Compact to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. While this update ensured that the Xperia Z1 Compact got all of Lollipop’s goodies, it also had the Stagefright bug.
To fix the Stagefright bug, Sony had released another update with a patch. This latest update is based on build number 14.6.A.1.216.
If you have a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and have updated to this latest firmware, while you may welcome the loss of the Stagefright bug, you may not welcome the fact that the update wiped the root access of your device. If you want to regain root access, follow along with our guide below. We will also show you how you can install CWM/TWRP custom recovery.
Prepare your phone
- The methods we use in this guide will only work with a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact D5503. Check your device’s model number by going to Settings>About Device. If you use this guide with another device you could brick the device.
- Charge battery to at least over 60 percent. This is to prevent you from running out of power before the process is done.
- Back up important contacts, SMS messages and call logs. Back up any important media files by copying them to a PC or Laptop.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Rooting And Installing Recovery On A Xperia Z1 Compact Running 5.1.1 14.6.A.1.216 Firmware
- Downgrade to .108 Firmware and root the device
- Your device needs to be running KitKat OS and be rooted. If you have already upgraded to Lollipop, the first thing that you will need to do is downgrade your device.
- Install .108 firmware.
- Install XZ Dual Recovery.
- Enable device’s USB debugging mode.
- Download latest installer for Xperia Z1 Compact (Z1 Compact-lockeddualrecovery2.8.X-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Connect phone to PC with a OEM date cable.
- Run install.bat.
- Wait for custom recovery to be installed.
2. Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .216 FTF
- Downloadlatest 6.A.0.216 FTF and place it anywhere on your PC.
- Create a Sony Xperia Pre-rooted firmware file with PRF creator, or you can download ready-made pre-rooted firmware here:
- Copy the prerooted firmware file you created/downloaded to the internal storage of your phone.
- Root and Install Recovery
- Turn the phone off.
- Turn it back on
- Press volume up or down repeatedly to bring you to custom
- Click on install and find the pre-rooted flashable firmware file.
- Tap on the file to install it.
- Reboot your device and check that you have Super Su in your app drawer. You can also verify that you have root access by going to the Google Play Store and installing the Root Checker app.
Have you rooted and installed custom recovery on your Xperia Z1 Compact?
Share your experience in the comments box below.