Install CWM/TWRP And Root An Xperia Z Ultra
Sony released an update to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop for their Xperia Z Ultra two days ago. The update has build number 14.6.A.0.368.
If you have updated or are updating your Xperia Z Ultra, you will find that installing the update will remove root access. If you want it back, we have the method for you. We will also show you how you can install a custom recovery on it.
Follow along with our guide below and root and install a custom recovery on an Xperia Z Ultra C6802, C6806 and C6833 that is running the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware.
firmware with Sony Flashtool. Follow along.
Prepare your phone
- This guide is for a Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802, Z Ultra C6806 and Z Ultra C6833. Using it with other devices could bricki the device. Check device’s model number by going to Settings>About Device.
- Charge battery to at least over 60 percent to prevent running out of power before process ends
- Back up important contacts, SMS messages and call logs. Back up important media files by copying to a PC or Laptop.
- Enable USB debugging mode by going to Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging. If there are no developer options in settings, you will need to activate them by going to Settings>About Device and looking for the build number. Tap the build number 7 times. Go back to settings, developer options should be there now.
- Have Sony Flashtool installed and setup. After installing Sony Flashtool, open Flashtool folder. Open Flashtool>Drivers>Flashtool-drivers.exe and from there, install Flashtool, Fastboot and Xperia Z Ultra drivers.
- Have an OEM data cable to connect your device to a PC.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Rooting Xperia Z Ultra 14.6.A.0.368 Firmware
- First you will need to Downgrade to .108 Firmware and root the device
- Your device needs to be running KitKat OS and be rooted. If it isn’t downgrade it first.
- Install .108 firmware.
- Install XZ Dual Recovery.
- Download latest installer for Xperia Z Ultra (ZU-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Connect phone to PC with OEM date cable. Run install.bat.
- Wait for custom recovery to be installed.
2. Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For 14.6.A.0.368 FTF
- Download6.A.0.368 FTF and place it anywhere on PC
- Create a pre-rootedfirmware .
- Copy pre-rootedfirmware to phone’s internal storage.
3. Root and Install Recovery on Z Ultra C6802/C6806/C6833 5.1.1 Lollipop Firmware
- Turn phone off.
- Turn it on,
- Press volume up or down repeatedly. This will bring you to custom
- Click installand find the folder where you placed the flashable zip.
- Tap on and install
- Reboot your phone.
- Check SuperSu is in the app drawer.
Have you rooted and installed recovery on your Sony Xperia Z Ultra?
Share your experience in the comments box below.