The Sony Xperia Z1
Sony had released a new update based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop for the Xperia Z1. This update basically fixes the Stagefright bug. The update carries build number 14.6.A.1.216 firmware.
If you have an Xperia Z1 and have installed this update, you might welcome the loss of the Stagefright bug but not so much the loss of your root access. Installing this update wipes root access in your device.
In this post, were going to show you how you can gain root access on an Xperia Z1 running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop 14.6.A.1.216 firmware. We are also going to show you how you can install CWM or TWRP recovery.
Lollipop with build number 10.7.A.0.222 firmware with Sony Flashtool.
Prepare your phone
- This method should only be used with a Sony Xperia Z1 C6902, C6903 and Xperia Z1 C6906. Check your device’s model number by going to Settings>About Device. If you use it with other devices you could brick the device.
- Charge battery to at least over 60 percent to prevent your device from running out of power before the process is done.
- Back up important contacts, SMS messages and call logs. Back up any important media files by copying them to a PC or Laptop.
Note: The methods needed to flash custom recoveries, roms and to root your phone can result in bricking your device. Rooting your device will also void the warranty and it will no longer be eligible for free device services from manufacturers or warranty providers. Be responsible and keep these in mind before you decide to proceed on your own responsibility. In case a mishap occurs, we or the device manufacturers should never be held responsible.
Rooting And Installing Recovery On Xperia Z1 Running Android 5.1.1 14.6.A.1.216 Firmware
- Downgrade to .108 Firmware and root device
- If you have already upgraded to Lollipop, the first thing that you will need to do is downgrade your device. Your device needs to be running KitKat OS and be rooted.
- Install .108 firmware.
- Install XZ Dual Recovery.
- Enable device’s USB debugging mode.
- Download latest installer for Xperia Z1 from here. (Z1-lockeddualrecovery2.8.X-RELEASE.installer.zip)
- Use an OEM data cable to connect phone to PC.
- When the connection has been made, run install.bat.
- Wait for custom recovery to install.
- Make A Pre-Rooted Flashable Firmware For .216 FTF
- Download latest 14.6.A.0.216 FTF and place it anywhere on your PC.
- Download Z1-lockeddualrecovery2.8.10-RELEASE.flashable.zip
- Create a Sony Xperia Pre-rooted firmware file with PRF creator, or you can download the appropriate ready-made pre-rooted firmware for your device here:
- Copy prerooted firmware file you created/downloaded to the phone’s internal storage.
- Root and Install Recovery
- Turn the phone off.
- Turn it back on
- Press the volume up or down keys repeatedly to enter custom recovery.
- Click install and find pre-rooted flashable firmware file.
- Tap on file to install.
- Reboot device and check you have Super Su in your app drawer. You can also verify you have root access by going to the Google Play Store and installing the Root Checker app.
Have you rooted and installed custom recovery on your Xperia Z1 ?
Share your experience in the comments box below.